A film by Jon Amiel

The Core stars Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhart, Tcheky Karyo. The previews made this movie look like Armageddon, only this time they go underground. I wasn t too excited for it, but I started seeing reviews that said it was better than Armageddon (which despite the bad rap the movie later got, it was enjoyable the first time I saw it) and had more story and detail. I thought that sounded okay and rented the movie. It is just like Armageddon, and it wasn t better.

Even though I ve already said that the movie is just like Armageddon, I ll give you the basic plot anyway. Early in the movie strange things start happening: a bunch of people drop dead, the only connection is that they all had pace makers; animals start acting crazy, and the weather becomes erratic and unseasonal. It turns out that the core of the planet has stopped spinning and the effects of this will be catastrophic. I ll leave it the movie to explain the hows and whys of that. What can be done? The core must be restarted. A character in the movie says that that is impossible because there is no machine/vehicle that can reach the Earth s core. Oh, but there is. The United States Government puts a team together to drill down to the Earth s core and try to restart it (unlike Armageddon, these men and women are actually scientists rather that oil riggers).

That s the movie in a nutshell. The trip down to the Core plays eerily similar to Armageddon (up to and including a scene that looks exactly like the crash on the asteroid in Armageddon). There is more scientific detail and explanation in the Core, and while I did appreciate that, the movie just became more and more unrealistic, and despite my acceptance of that fact, it made the movie hard to bear. This is a disaster film, and with a disaster film you would imagine that the special effects would be impressive. At least that would have helped the movie. Unfortunately, the special effects were rather weak and in a couple of cases, a little cheesy. Director Jon Amiel had some talented actors to work with, but unfortunately the movie was a failure. It was not interesting, or visually striking, and was ultimately boring. To borrow Roger Ebert s trademarked line: Thumbs way down.

For whatever reasons I rented this a few weeks ago.

I think it has to be one of the very worst movies I have seen.

I give it 1 out of 4 pugs.

If I had to start fresh and write a new review, it would read just like Pug's. This was Armageddon only they went into the earth instead of into space.

I saw it when it came out. Despite the lady next to me getting on a full three course meal and digging through her purse during the entire movie, the movie STILL SUCKED LEMONS!!!!

Horrible acting. Armageddon at least had BRUCE!!

OK, now I can skip them both.