A film by Morton DeCosta

The Music Man has the feel of a traditional music. What I mean is that it fits the stereotypical movie musical: a little cheesy, characters ready to burst into song and dance at any moment, and with backgrounds that look like they were painted in. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, The Music Man works.

The premise of The Music Man is that a traveling salesman, Harold Hill (Robert Preston) comes to River City, Iowa with the intent to con the town into buying instruments and uniforms to form a boys marching band. Harold Hill just has to convince the town that they both need and want a marching band. He begins to win over the town, despite not having any musical ability, and has nearly everyone conned except for the librarian, Marian (Shirley Jones). To win her, he tries to woo her. He is incredibly charming and smooth, but it isn t until the kids begin being excited about music that Marian even begins to crack.

There are some very good songs in this musical. 76 Trombones is a classic, but my favorite was Marian the Librarian . There is a certain amount of sweetness and nostalgia to this movie. It is definitely an old time movie that the whole family can watch together. The one thing that surprised me the most was a young Ron Howard was in this movie (he was the kid with the lisp). I can t say that this is one of my favorite movies, but this was a good musical and a good movie and it is family friendly.

Maybe you can't, but I can! This is my favoritest musical of all times. :banana: Almost every song in it has a good hook to it.
If I were going to recommend a first musical to anyone, this would be it.

I seriously would never have pegged you for a musical fan. In my limited musical experience, i might recommend Newsies for DVDs, but Cats if you get to see it live.

You can totally blame that on Mrs. Hayes. She loves them and I've had to sit through enough of them that they've started to grow on me.
I still can't stand Deanna Durbin, her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Wanna guess how i was introduced to musicals?

Looking at Durbin's filmography, i've never seen her in anything.

One of my favorite all time musicals, partly because I performed in it when I was in high school This one has some GREAT music, (the opening with the train and travelling salesmen is fantastic, as are the Buffalo Bills in their many songs) but my favorite aspect of this musical is the clever writing, the very dry very subtle but hilarious/scandalous humor dropped throughout the script. And in the movie Robert Preston and (whoever played) Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn and Mayor Shinn deliver the lines fabulously... Rabelais.....Chaucer.....BALZAC!

GARY, INDIANA GARY, INDIANA GARY, INDIANA IS THE PLACE I WANT TO BE! :banana: