Hi, I heard recently about antibiotic resistance of enteric pathogens, and it seamed like an interesting subject. Does anybody know how this resistance appears and why?

Hello, I think I watched something about antibiotic resistance of enteric pathogens on discovery channel. In Southeast Asia was noticed that shigella, enterotoxigenic escherichia coli and nontyphoidal salmonella are resistant to some antibiotics like ampicillin, chloramphenicol, and tetracycline. The resistance varies from country to country. Somewhere is not changing, and somewhere is increasing. For example, salmonella is increasing its resistant in Thailand, but not yet in Vietnam. There is a danger from spreading food borne pathogens, and many people work on preventing it. Some enteric bacterial isolates from different people were studied to recognize the difference between geographically proximal countries, but economically distant. I would like if there was more about antibiotic resistance of enteric pathogens on TV, but this is all I have seen.