Hi everybody. I have this awful swelling on both sides of the neck, just above the collarbone, and I can’t determine what is causing it. Generally, I’m in good health, and this really surprised me. I have no other symptoms like pain, itching, fever… nothing, just this annoying swelling. Does anybody here has a clue what this might be??? Thanks a lot.

You described what seem like lymph nodes swelling. So, it is highly possible that you have infection of some kind. Lymph nodes swell when one has infection. As you have no other symptoms, it is really hard to tell what kind of infection you might have – it could be almost anything. Therefore, I would recommend you to see your doc and check your blood – I’m sure tests will show if I’m right. I truly hope it is nothing serious. Good luck and take care.

I have had this same issue. Swelling above collarbone on both sides that comes and goes. I seem to get it more if I am stressed. I was diagnosed with anxiety over a year ago and now that I have control of it, my swelling went away, but comes and goes every so often.

If anyone has any other answers, I would love to hear it.

I have this problem too. I have hypothyroidism and thought the problem might be from that, but my thyroid itself is not swollen. The doctor ruled out swollen lymph nodes, too. I had an ultrasound but the doctors and radiologists came to no conclusions. I don't know what's causing it! Help!

Same thing here.
In fact, this is the first time I succeeded in finding a description of exactly similar symptoms

I have visited several doctors, specialists, professors,
all tell me it's nothing, although they can't give a satisfactory explanation what it is

I too am impatient for decent answers/diagnose

EVERYONE ~ I had all of these same symptoms and then a lump appeared in my neck. I could only feel one but the sonogram showed three. On 10/23/09, I am scheduled for surgery to remove the nodules, which are in the left side of my neck, in my lymph nodes. I am swelling on both sides of my face and left side of my collarbone. I had this lump checked out last December and was told "it was just swollen lymph nodes" and was given antibiotics but that did nothing. Ensure if you are having these symptoms to have a sonogram of your neck and thyroid.

Wow, I have looked all over the net to find some info about these symptoms. I have had swelling on both sides of my neck, just above the clavical, for about a year. I didn't notice it until a fellow instructor pointed it out. When I looked in the mirror I was shocked. It was huge and felt like a gel pack under the skin about the size of a lemon on both sides of my neck. It never really goes completely away but increases and decreases in size. I have noticed that it really acts up when I am stressed or fighting off a bug of some kind. I have had a CAT scan and x-rays. Nothing was found. Several doctors have checked my lymph nodes for swelling, nothing. One doctor called it an anomaly. It is really frustating when you have a symptom with no diagnosis. I do have a multi-goitered thyroid, but the doctors assure me the two are not related.

I also have the same symptoms. The night before Thanksgiving both sides of my of my neck above the clavicle area started to swell. No other symptoms other than some pain caused by the excessive swelling. I still have it and it never goes away but it does go down at times. I had an ultrasound of the thyroid and neck done. They did find a nodule on my thyroid and now I have to for a CAT scan with dye to determine what type of nodule it is and if it is cancerous. However my doctor still thinks that the nodule has nothing to do with the swelling. She is puzzled also as all of you have said. She did say that she thought it may be a problem with the lymphatic system draining properly but that is only a guess. She did also say on my first visit that it could be stress related. Just curious, I am from NJ where are you all from?

I have the same thing, but it's just on the left side. It's right above the collarbone and starts at the base of my neck and ends about halfway between my neck and shoulder. I noticed it about 3 years ago and made an appointment with my doctor. When he saw it he immediately sent me to radiology for an ultrasound and possible biopsy. They did the ultrasound and couldn't find anything and told me it was a muscle. They even did a CT scan to make sure everything was ok. I got a massage about 3 months ago and the therapist felt it in my neck and asked me about it. She said it felt like a build-up of lymphatic fluid and gave me the name of someone that could possibly help me by using some type of pressure point massage therapy....I didn't follow thru with that. I had my annual check-up a couple of days ago and told my Dr. that this so called muscle was getting larger and he agreed after looking at it. He has me scheduled to see an ENT doctor.

I have had the same condition for several years. Recently the swelling has increased. Not sure it that is related to the fact that I have put on a little weight or not. There is no pain what so ever, not anything hard in there that you can feel. Feels like a gel-pack, as Guest posted on 10/14. Another is starting to "grow" over my right clavial, but it is not as noticable. Showed my GP Monday, he took some xrays and commented that everything looked remarkably normal. He has referred me to a general surgen. At a minimum, I want it removed, so perhaps they can diagnose and remove. I'll let y'all know the results.

Hi everyone. I am a 32 year old woman . About 4 months ago I found a spot by my collarbone that is swollen. Went to the doctor been put on 3 rounds of meds to see if it was do to infection. It never wnet away. Then about 3 weeks ago I have swelling under my arm. Its on the same side as the swelling by my collarbone. Went to my OB doctor and he is sending me to have a mammagram and ultrasound also to see a surgeon. But was wondering if any body has any idea what this could be. Im really worried about this. Thanks for your time.

Hello everyone,

I have the same condition as you've all described and have searched a lot on the internet to find a possible cause without any luck! It is great to find that others have the same problem, but like you are experiencing, it is frustrating not to be able to get a diagnose. I have been scanned, but everything looks normal, my doctor told me. For some reason my lumbs have grown a bit recently and it aches, but it doesn't hurt when I press them, and they are gel like, like some of you describe. I want to try and go back to my doctor and ask him if there is something else he can do. If I have any kind of answer, I will let you all know!

Have any of you checked out Madelung,s disease? Do any of you drink?

I'm watching this thread with interest. I have exactly the same. Have had it for a couple of years. Doc referred me for xrays and ultrasound - all normal apparently. Swelling still there but doesn't hurt - would like to find out what it is and cure it though. I'm in UK.

Please check this link and see if it looks familiar.