I have just been on Remicade for about 4mths now and think the drug does wonders for me, I have just noticed that I am becoming more absent minded then usual I have always had a bad memory (short term) but this is something even I have noticed being worse then usual . Has anyone else had these problems?

I am "medsurfing" just a week and a half after undergoing my first Remicade infusion for information on exactly that topic. I'm finding it scarce so perhaps not a common side effect. But I am finding that I have the same problem. My memory has gotten awfully bad in the past couple of days. But my severe psoriasis has dramatically improved. I also take methotrecate 20 mg IM weekly and had to jump from Enbrel to Remicade because of the worsening skin disease. I am thrilled with Remicade but horrified that it may bear other side effects. I have already had a possible MS diagnosis for past 2 years- possibly connected with maximum dosage Enbrel use. Began Enbrel in 2001. Actually have diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Miracle biologics apparently come with huge drawbacks.

I have been on Remicade since 1998 for Crohns Disease. It has completely changed my life, but I have had side effects...

1) Memory Loss- I used to have a photographic memory but when my Remicade dosage increased to 10 mg/kg, my short term memory has been shot. I'm just not sure if I go off of it or lower the dose if my memory will go back or if I am really doing damage?

2) CMV Virus- I had a terrible fever and was in the hospital... the ONLY thing that came back as abnormal was the CMV Virus. Look it up on google, but symptoms include fever & fatigue

3) Hair Loss- This is arguably not from the Remicade, but I am 26 and my hair went from being normal to losing a lot of it at a very fast pace.

I'm most concerned with the memory loss

i too had memory loss and hair loss from the remicade, not to mention anaphylactic shock on my second infusion. i stopped after three infusions because the neurological side effects were so disturbing that my doctor had me get a CT scan, which thankfully, came back normal. now onto humira which isn't even approved for UC yet...

My mother has been taking remicade for 5 years for A.S. She too has experienced significant memory loss. We have been referred to neurologists that believe her short term memory loss is due to alzimer's disease. She is only 53 and we have no family history of alzimers. The last Remicade infusion was given in Winter '09. Since then she has not taken remicade fearing that it may be the cause of her memory loss. She is currently she is still suffering from short term memory loss. My question is: those of you that ARE and HAVE experienced short term memory loss, how many of you are still experiencing this "side effect". I'm wondering if this "side effect" is something that is a temporary experience immediately after the infusion and a few days after OR if it is something that is more permenant. Please reply to this thead!.

I have been on Remecade for almost 2yrs now due to Chrons Disease and being Critically ill for about 10yrs. i am 28yrs old and after my  Treatments I am very tired and my joints are swollen for about 2wks. But about 3 treatments ago I started noticing Memory Loss. I could remember the past but was having a very hard time remembering anything I was doing or saying at the moment. Well here I am today n the Memory Loss has gotten Alot Worse. Unfortunately for me I cannot stop infusions due to my body developing infections very quickly. My nurse also told me another patient in there 20's is also experiencing memory loss

I experienced the short term losses, the joint pain, tingling and general fog.  To say forgetful is an understatement. I finally stopped the Remicade. Stopping helped but am still in a fog at times getting close to 9 months since last dose. I saw another guy a year older than myself getting the infusion had it worse. The Docs and the infusion people just blew off any note of memory loss. One thing I don't miss is the blood leaks through the skin in the arms when I was working. never had it when I went to the doctors office and he didn't show interest so I ended up photographing them. Remicade seemed to help for about 6 months then the memory stuff started. Cimzia is worthless in my case. No effect when I tried it.

I experienced the same issues with memory lost. I started taking the medication six years ago. Unfortunately this is he only medication  that relieves my pain. 

Make sure you let the GI know of the Fog or memory loss,  It let up some , but I still have it after a year. I am 55 and have met others who have the memory loss.

I gave in and had the resection surgery to relieve the pain.  Nothing is perfect.

So, you've TOTALLY turned around the possibility of helping another by answering there question to making it all about you? You must be fun to be around.

I have been taking Remicade infusions for Ulcerative colitis for about two years now. I noticed within a couple of months that my short term memory was not on point. I feel it's getting worse the longer I have the infusions. Unfortunately, it's the only medication that has put me in remission since being diagnosed 22 years ago. I also have had some hair loss.

I have a husband that has been on Remicade since 1998 and he has same problem, scares me,, would like to know if you find anything on this if there is a test to find out what is going on. thanks

Hi everyone,

I didn't want to "google" this topic as I didn't want to to be true. I really wanted what it was experiencing to be an isolated event. .. but it appears it is not. I noticed after my second infusion that I couldn't Rembert certain things. Generally active recall, like I would get lost driving, or I couldn't pick the work in wanted to say. It's a very tricky think to objectively track. But, it's effected my work and my sense of self. At the same time, it's been helping with my pain and swelling. ... now what?

I've been on Remicade for almost 10 years now. I tried to switch to Humira & Symponi & neither one helped. It took a while before I noticed the memory loss, but it eventually became quite apparent to me that I was starting to forget far more things than usual. I looked up this topic several times & it is not said to be very common, but after reading this thread, I see that many of us have this issue. For me, the benefits of the Remicade far outweigh the mild memory loss (although noticeable--to me, others probably would never know). I'm now in my early 40s, but probably noticed it a few years ago. I'm also on the 10mg/kg dosage. And the issue is definitely short-term memory loss, long term doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm trying ginkgo biloba to try to lessen this effect.

I've been on remicade since 2009 for crohn's disease. I've noticed a big change in my memory and how I can't think of words as I'm in mid-sentence. It can be very embarrassing for me at times. I don't know if others notice, but my husband sure does. He makes jokes to lighten the mood, like if I ask where are my keys, he'll say did you check the freezer. Or he'll jump in to finish my sentence for me if we're in public. I'm 35 years old and some days can't remember certain words. I've become accustomed to using, that thingy or which ma call it, it's getting pretty bad. But it's the only medication that seems to work. I have good days and bad.