Hi! I am 35 years old man. I have bilateral flank pain and hematuria. I have been diagnosed Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. What is cause of this disease? Tell me something about plasma exchange.

Hi! I was misdiagnosed with this disease. This is I know about this disease. Until recently the cause of TTP remained elusive. However, recent research points to the involvement of a protein in the plasma called von Willebrand factor (vWF). Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura has classically been characterized by the pentad of fever, microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, neurologic symptoms, renal dysfunction, and thrombocytopenia. Treatment of TTP requires specialist care and may require transfer to a regional hospital. Plasma exchange is the most important component of treatment for TTP. Plasma exchange involves the removal of a patient's plasma and its replacement by donor plasma. This removes circulating antibody against vWF cleaving protease and provides plasma with normal vWF-cleaving protease activity. The procedure usually needs to be performed daily for at least five days to be effective. Sometimes many more procedures are required.