I was in E 2/5 USMC in Vietnam (AnHoa and PhuBai) in 1967 and I am having all kinds of problems with bone degeneration, aching legs, and a very low blood platelet count. Is there a correlation between this and agent orange? I have been to the VA in Memphis and really haven't found out too much regarding the above. They keep prescribing meds and so far nothing has helped. PS At last count my blood platelet count was 90,000 and have been dropping since 2001. I hurt so bad, I am only averaging about 3-4 hours sleep per night. Can't go on too much longer like this. I need some answers.

My father also was in vietnam and he was around the spraying of agen orange.
It is now known that Agent Orange will cause Hepetitis B in a large number of
soldiers. My poor dad did not complain but when I took him to the doc's they
said that his platlet count was so low that he needed a blood transfusion. He
did get many blood transfusions but then within weeks his count would go down
again and then he developed anemia. He passed away from his problems so
please don't let them brush you off. Get tested for Hep B because his Hep B
came back with a false neg. twice until they found that he had gotten it and he
was positive but it was Dormant. It effected his gallbladder and liver and he
then developed diabeties to complicate things furthur. I truly think that if they
would have given him med's to protect his liver (which there are med's that do
protect your liver that they don't tell you about) he would still be here today.
He did bleed out of his stomach etc prior to his death. It appears that it all
started with HEP B from agent orange. I would have my gallbladder scanned as
his was completly messed up which also added to more liver damage. If your
gallbladder is bad...get it out...They left his in and then when the liver went bad
they could not take out the diseased gallbladder. I know this had to do with his
LOW platlet count. Liver/Hep B/ Gallbladder ...Hope it helps...keep me posted.
Thank you for your service to this country.

My father-in-law is in your shoes.He was in Vietnam around the same time you were. He has been to the hospital 8 times in this past month. He has seen over 100 doctors and they have not found out what is wrong with him. His blood platelets have gone from 113,000 to 2 at the lowest. They don't know what is causing it. He has no feeling in his legs and keeps falling. He is now in the hospital for bleeding in the brain.He has a list of problems and we hope that agent orange is the cause of most of his problems. My father in-law is in a lot of pain and is tired of going to the hospital. If you find out that low blood platelets is caused by Agent Orange....contact me at

Thanks
Jennifer Clouse

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I was in Vietnam on a river boat. I am also haveing problems with aching legs, shaking legs, restless leg syndrome, and low blood platelet count. my platelet count is averaging about 60,000 over the past 4 to 5 years. nothing else seems to be wrong, but cant seem to put a cause on the problem. Is there a correlation between this and agent orangem or hep B?

tntch2 wrote:

my platelets are 56000....going to VA next week to file for AO. keep in touch....will let u know what i find out. dave usaf thailand 1966-67...I also hv other isuses,,,,,AO is now open for all in thailand from 1962-75......It was used and I never found out about that until 3 weeks ago.....many others hv this problem....so lets stick together..... ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

Bill Bodeker wrote:

hi bill, yes there is a correlation between AO & platelets....i am in the process of getting backing on this from a vy good dr. in minn. keep in touch....maybe we can help others....been working on this for a long time with all services......I am the vp for the north cental region in the "redhorse assc"....AO is finally open to thailand it was used in most of the main bases over there....I was at utapao,thailand in 1966-67...I am having trouble with several medical problems so at least now i can file for AO...... ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our
Terms of Use

david giudici wrote:

Bill Bodeker wrote:

hi bill, yes there is a correlation between AO & platelets....i am in the process of getting backing on this from a vy good dr. in minn. keep in touch....maybe we can help others....been working on this for a long time with all services......I am the vp for the north cental region in the "redhorse assc"....AO is finally open to thailand it was used in most of the main bases over there....I was at utapao,thailand in 1966-67...I am having trouble with several medical problems so at least now i can file for AO...... ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

thank you for the information and good luck on your quest to find out more information on this subject... this is only one of my many problems i am being treated for... i didn't know that you could file for agent orange "AO". I always thought you had to file under one of the deceases caused by the chemicals?

david giudici wrote:

Bill Bodeker wrote:

David:

I have been waiting to see something like this in print for a long time! Please get ahold of me(no e-mail addresses allowed,on this site, I guess.grrrrrrrr),BUT nothing is said of Facebook contacts(as far as I know)"FRIEND" me on FB and we can get into "msg" discussion and what to do about it.If you haven't seen my posting on this site.........Please look it up.It's kinda long BUT hopefully helpful with trying to resolve this issue.WE VETS DESERVE AN ANSWER,AS DO THE FAMILIES OF THE VETS)Govt. red tape ,and all that,is quite obvious.WE served our wonderful country,so the Govt. SHOULD take care of us now.There are too many AO related platelet/blood/bone marrow conditions/diseases that need to be addressed!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOPS! I forgot................  "FRIEND" me on FB.Look for Wayne Erickson.....................

David..........I've posted,here, on this AO thing a few times.My platelets are dangerously high,and I'm now on hydroxyurea for my problem.Platelets are stabilized and are sorta where they should be(under 500,000).Keep me in the "loop" please and let me/us know what this Minn. Dr. has to say.Maybe we can initiate a class action suit ,or something like that to MAKE the Govt. take notice about us.My local VA keeps giving me the runaround.Hope to hear from you soon

OOOPS! My name is Wayne Erickson,just in case it didn't show up somewhere.No e-mail addresses allowed...........yah,right!."Friend" me on FB,then.I'm the one in jungle fatigues(at the age of 20 or so) holding a small girl.She was an orphan in Danang and I used to visit when I could,off duty......................

My brother has been back and forth to the hospital and rehabilitation to regain strength, but he just keeps getting transfusions for low platelet count fever and shakes his feet and hands are a horrible mess and I fear his demise. He was the person that helped put the Agent orange on the planes to be distributed in the fields. Again they cannot find the problem, about 2 years ago he had the same problem but no transfusions at that time. He was able to go home He is scared to death although he tries to hide it. How long can this go on, can he recover. No one seems to be able to tell me what is causing this. Please help.

my husband also was in vietnam on a river boat in 1967, he also was a medic on the front line AO was sprayed over head he has low platelet ct and they are flat, he does have restless legs also He has had heart issues which the VA claims is from AO he is receiving payment for the heart but not for ITP I will be keeping track of all of you and if changes occur I will post . I also will be praying that we find out the truth

I was an E5/E6 stationed on the USS Okinawa off the coast of Hanoi and spint about a week in Da Nang. My exposure was only minimal, but have Diabetess 2, low blood platlets, restless leg syndrome and minor kidney damage. I am starting to experience arthitis in my joints of my feet, hands and back. I, also, have a heart condition with my blood vessals and not my major aurtories. The VA is treating all my conditions, but as of yet have done nothing with the low blood platelets.  I am 60 years old and feel great first thing in the morning, but by 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I am very tired and have no energy. I have to use a cane to get around because my knees buckle on me without notice. I am hoping I can get some relief. I am going to a civilian dr. today to descuss this further.

Please let me know what you discover. Among other problems, my platelet count is running around 25K and nobody can tell me the reason. I was stationed at NKP, with several TDY's to Danang and Bien Hoe.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you so very much. Bill