Hello, folks. My father has been recently diagnosed with diabetes. He started with one drug, but now he is taking a combination of different drugs, but not insulin. I would like to know something more about the efficiency of this kind of treatment. Can anyone help me? I would appreciate it.

Hello. Diabetes pills are also known as oral hypoglycemic agents (OHA). There are six groups of these medications. Those are: sulfonylureas (glyburide, glipizide, Amaryl), biguanides (metformin), thiazolidinediones (Actos, Avandia), meglitinides (Starlix, Prandin), alpha-glucosidase inhibitors (acarbose, miglitol) and DPP4-inhibitors. Each of these groups acts in different point of the glycaemia regulation. That is why combination of OHA can bring benefits for the patient. Of course, patient cannot decide which combination is the best on his own. He must consult with an endocrinologist. Now, you can find a combination of these drugs in one pill. It is easier for taking, but on the other hand it is more difficult for dosage. I hope this helps.