Hello, folks. My kid has been recently diagnosed type 2 of diabetes. I know that this type is rare among kids. I know that this type is treated with medications. I would like to know which medications are best for kids with this type of diabetes. I would be very grateful for this piece of info.

Hello. As far as I know, they can use the same medications for type 2 of diabetes as adults can. First ones are medications that decrease insulin resistance – Actos and Avandia. Metformin also belongs to this group. However, I have read that metformin shouldn’t be given to kids younger than 10. Kids younger than 17 shouldn’t use the extended-release preparation of metformin. There are also medicines that increase insulin production – Starlix, Byetta, Glucotrol, etc. At the end, there are medicines that slow the glucose absorption in intestines. Those are acarbose or miglitol. In any case, you should consult your pediatric endocrinologist.