Users comments and reviews on article How Honest Are You? by Margaret Paul, Ph.D.

This article goes to the heart of human nature, and is written from a psychologist's or an idealist's standpoint. The fact that so many people tell so many lies, either to please or to avoid a confrontation, makes it so hard for all of us to know who our real friends are. On the other hand, I feel that a little bit of white lies are essential for greasing our social wheels, to help us relax, and to make life easier for all of us. Without white lies, we would all be living in a hostile world. Confrontation raises our levels of epinephrine and cortisol. This is not exactly good for our mental and physical health either. I do feel there is a third alternative to telling lies and telling the truth - silence. This discipline is widely practiced among Buddhist monks in the East. In the West, silence is most often practiced when witnesses plead the fifth in the court of law. As the saying goes, silence is golden.

I think that it's a very good thing you've pointed out that you should try to be as honest as possible with yourself because I find that every time I try to lie to myself that I get anxious and I am unable to get away from it for very long. It might sound like it's an unfortunate way to live but I think it's healthy because I am generally always honest with myself now! Thanks for posting this. I hope it helps someone else a lot like it did me.