Users comments and reviews on article Dealing With Abuse Memories by Margaret Paul, Ph.D.

This is repressed memory nonsense. Is it 1982 again? How did this get on a medical site? Please review your quality standards and remove this fiction.

Perhaps you could instead post a link to the Pulitzer Prize-winning expose of recovered memory therapy, Making Monsters, by Watters and Ofshe. Or post a link to some updated studies on trauma and memory, which seriously indict recovered memory practitioners as the charlatans they are.

"It may feel as though you are making the memories up"? Well, there's a simple explanation for that.

How sad to see an article like this in 2008.

I'm 17 and I was an abused child. I only really put the pieces together last year, in the company of my long term boyfriend. He's really helped me through things but just learning more about why I feel the way I feel is making a huge difference. It was a very strange feeling when I put the tag 'abused' on myself because all at once everything that I do made sense. I never fully realised that I was abused because I suppressed the memories. I found this article quite helpful.. but thats just me and my experiences. Obviously people get abused in many different ways and may have other needs but this article met mine. It's a long road to recovery but with help from caring people and articles like this to better educate me, I think that I will be just fine.

Repression is real. I am an educated individual and have personally experienced it. I am thankful to read this article. Yes, some crazy therapists can implant "false memories," but I know mine are real, and I wish that I had help re-living the memories instead of going through it by myself one day when I was 11.