Hello! I'm not an expert in the field of medicine. I ask you to reply to my next question. I would like to know something about dermatomyositis. As I know that is difficult disease and I would like to know something about death possibilities. You can tell me some info about that factor. I respect your opinion and time.

Hi! As I see you need information. I will try to answer to your question with my experience. You want to know about dermatomyositis and death. Dermatomyositis could cause death since of muscle laxity or cardiopulmonary involvement. Person with a relative malignancy could die of the malignancy. Mainly the people with dermatomyositis survive.

Hello there kile801,

Since julie1007 has already answered your question I don’t want to repeat her words except that dermatomyositis is really severe condition which can lead to the death. I am so sorry if you have been diagnosed with this condition. I am sure that your doctor will inform you about all the necessary details so don’t stress yourself out about this that much.

Please keep us posted about your condition and I really hope that you will manage to reduce the symptoms and avoid unpleasant complications.

Hi Kile801. I wanted to know about dermatomyositis and death as well so I looked it up here and saw your posting. I have a friend who did just die on Sunday July 8, 2012 from this disease, although he was being cared for by interns as he had no insurance, this was the prognosis. It started 4 weeks ago with tingles and sharp pain in his fingers which progressed to fatigue and muscle pain, then weak vocal chords and finally an ulcer in his throat. He was admitted into the hospital where these interns determined it was dermatomyositis and then he passed away just days later, we're all still in shock. I'd been reading up on this autoimmune disease and it is bad but it seems that if found early it can be controlled with a specific medication. Also I read that the disease itself may mean pre-cancer so please check into that as well because in rare cases, zapping the pre cancer can put this disease into remission. I am sorry if you or a loved one was diagnosds with this and I do hope you or your loved one is okay. I didn't post this for alarm but for information that may help someone to understand that agressive action should be taken with this condition and don't let doctors make you feel like they're in total control, ask questions and make them search for answers. Do research and let them know that you will not let any stone go unturned. Its their jobs to help you get what you need as quickly as possible in order to survive and be healthy.

I AM SO CONFUSED I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH THIS ON TUESDAY. I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN SEEING A DERMATOLOGIST FOR A RASH ON MY FACE FOR A MONTH AND A WEEK OR SO LIKE EVERY WEEK. ONE DAY I WOKE UP SWOLLEN FROM MY FACE, LIPS, EAR LOBES, CHEEKS, EYES AND EYE LIDS, I WAS TOLD TO TAKE THE PREDNISONE AND WE WILL SEE IF THAT HELPS, I AM SO WORRIED AND I HAVE FIVE KIDS THREE GRANDKIDS AND NOT READY TO LEAVE YET. I ALSO AM DIABETIC AND HAVE A HEART CONDITION. I AM GLAD I LOOKED IN TO SEEING A SPECIALIST A WEEK AND COUPLE DAYS LATER. I HOPE TO GOD I CAUGHT IT ON TIME AND I STILL HAVE TO HAVE A CANCER SCREENING SOON. JUST WAITING FOR THE APPT.