Hello. My friend has been diagnosed with polymyositis. I know that this is an autoimmune disease. Immune cells attack fibber and muscle cells. The main symptom is muscle weakness. I would like to know if death is possible due to this disease. I have read somewhere about 50% mortality in 10 year period. Is this true?

Hello to you too. Polymyositis is a serious disease. It is a form of autoimmune disease. Immune cells attack muscle fibres. If there is a skin rash associated, then it is dermatomyositis. I think that you have a precise data. 75% of people survive a five year period. However, this percentage is smaller in the longer period. I think that it is important for your friend to be disciplined with the treatment. He should consult his doctor for more details.

My mother had polymyositis, she was 70 and a half when she was diagnosed and she died about a week after she turned 71. She was very healthy until this disease hit. They could not figure out what she had until it was to late for the medicine to work. I have heard that if found in time you can live with this disease.

My husband lived 11 years with Polymyositis with Jo 1 antibody and pulmonary fibrosis

My wife passed 9 years after diagnosed..She was 61

Hi my name is chris Im a 40 year old male that lives in N J its been about ten years since ive been diagnose the symptoms never left cpk blood work was all was fairly high just looked at your posted it scares me cause now its been round ten years and this is the worst ive felt its getting hard to move my arms again and my legs feel week like im going to collapse if you still visit this site call me i would to know if your friend made any progress

My wife passed 7 years ago form the same thing she was 53

My friend 53 died about 2 weeks ago she was diagnosed about 16 years ago. She died suddenly at home alone and wasn’t found door 2 1/2 days. She didn’t seemed any worse than her usual last time I saw her. I wasn’t aware Polymyositis was a fatal disease. Does anyone know what would cause sudden death with this disease?