I need some information about autoimmune diseases and I understand that I have come top the right place! What I am interested in is polymyositis and dermatomyositis. What are their differences, and what do they have in common? How does one determine if a patient has polymyositis or dermatomyositis? Has it actually been proven that both of these are autoimmune diseases, or is that just a suspicion at this point?

Polymyositis is an disease that attacks muscle tissue. At the moment, the cause of Polymyositis is unknown, though there are periods of flares and periods of remission. Dermatomyositis affects the skin as well as the muscles. Both are associated with cancer, and both are treated with prednisone. They are not in fact proven autoimmune disorders.

Came across your post while researching something... Not sure if you still need the info but here it is... Both conditions are Autoimmune and can coexist along with other mixed connective tissue disorders. It is unclear as to what causes these conditions, possibly infections, stress, certain chemicals or diet. Any of these factors can trigger your immune system and put it in a kind of overdrive leading to your body reacting against it's own muscle cells leading to pain, swelling, inflammation and gradual loss of power. If only muscles involved it is poly(many) myo( muscle) sitis(inflammation) while if skin is involved it is dermato myositis. If you need more resources feel free to reply to this post and I will provide them. Good luck.