I use Tylenol as pain medication very often and a week ago I heard from a friend of mine that acetaminophen is very common cause of drugs poisoning. I thought that it was one of the safest drugs, because is recommended for children and is used in pregnancy. What are the toxic doses of Tylenol?

Tylenol used along with alcohol is damaging to the liver. People that have already do have certain liver damages should be very concerned about using Tylenol and other medications that contain acetaminophen. Maximum daily dose for adult with healthy liver and kidneys is 4000mg and maximum amount taken per dose is 1000mg. Symptoms of Tylenol overdose are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, sweating, seizures and irregular heartbeat.

What most people do not know is that acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is found in literally hundreds of products. Most are OTC, but many are in prescriptions, and so are hidden from the public. What else is not known is that the FDA has recommended that acetaminophen never be taken for periods longer than 10 days, while the American Liver Foundation says no more than 3 days. New research has indicated that along with liver damage (transplantation may be needed to correct the situation), kidney damage may occur, especially during pregnancy. The thing to truly be wary of, is never to take the medication for a period exceeding 10 days.

If this is indeed true then why do doctors place people on this drug for years at a time? My Grandma has been on pain medication since she had her gall bladder removed about five years ago. She's been on 5/500 vicodin and takes up to or more than eight a day. She never suffered any effects to the liver whatsoever. I hate this debate over acetaminophen, it appears nobody has a damn clue what the effects are. I've researched this site too and a few chronic pain sufferers have been taking the drug every day for more than a decade with a normal liver. So your statement "never take the drug for longer than ten days" goes against common practices in the medical field. Honestly, who knows what to believe?