Please tell me what exatly the diference between vicodin and lortab is. I was on vicodine for about 6 months. I used it as pain killer because of an injury I had had. I heard that it was habit forming. I wanted to change my therapy, and to start with lortab. Is it a good pain killer? Please inform me.

I have to tell you that both lortab and vicodin contain hydrocodon which is responsible for habit forming. Lortab contains acetaminophene which is less potent pain killer and increases effects of hydrocodone. And – vicodine is just the same. So, you’ll have to ask your doctor to prescribe you different pain relieving therapy. Or try with some otcs if you feel better now.

Information about medicins

The Lortab is the brand name for the combination of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and hydrocodone. Lortab is prescribed for moderate to moderately severe pain. Hydrocodone binds to the pain receptors in the brain so that the sensation of pain is reduced. Acetaminophen halts the production of prostaglandins which otherwise cause pain. It is available in tablet, capsule, and liquid form and is taken every 4-6 hours by mouth. Since hydrocodone can be habit forming, care must be taken to follow the doctor's instructions when taking Lortab. Do not take a larger dose, or take it more frequently, or take it for longer than the doctor has prescribed.

Another medications are
10 325 Hydrocodone (related to codeine) is in a class of drugs called narcotic analgesics.
10 325 hydrocodone is used to relieve moderate-to-severe pain and a cough
suppressant
The combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone comes as a tablet, capsule,
and liquid to take by mouth.
It usually is taken every 4-6 hours as needed.

Vicoprofen this is supplied in a fixed combination tablet form for oral
administration.
VICOPROFEN combines the opioid analgesic agent, hydrocodone bitartrate, with
the nonsteroidal
anti-inflammatory (NSAID) agent, ibuprofen.
Tylenol #3
Tylenol 3 is a narcotic pain medication that contains both Tylenol
(acetaminophen) and Codeine.
Codeine is a prescription strength narcotic pain reliever and Tylenol is a
very effective over-the-counter medicine.
When the two are mixed, the pain relief is greater than if only one was
taken.
And the Flexeril may be taken with or without food.
Flexeril should be used only for short periods (no more than 3 weeks). Since the type of injury that Flexeril treats should improve in a few weeks, there is no reason to use it for a longer period.

thanks

Have your doc put you on ibuprofen,

they make those in pretty strong doses (800mg is a pretty common prescribed dose if I'm not mistaken)

if you're worried about getting hooked on any pain killers i suggest staying away from any kind of opiate. But really if your pain isn't going to be happening for the rest of your life (something more temporary like an injury or something) you should be ok to take opiate painkillers, just don;t try and get messed up by overdosing or anything haha.

listen to your doc, it's really the only way you can guarantee safety if you don't know much about pharmaceuticals.

ok just to let you all know........
vicodine has CODEINE in it
and
lortab has CODONE in it
they are different things
they kinda work the same but effect people differently
if you are going to give advise to people on this type of topic
know what you are talking about
its easy its called reserch

The word "codone" is not often used by itself. You sound like you should do some research. You are very critical for someone who knows little about this topic. Also, vicodin (not vicodine) and lortabs are pretty much the same thing. You are correct in saying that "codone" and codeine are not the same thing, however, both lortabs and vicodin have hydrocodone in them. Neither one has codeine.

Lortab and Vicodin are both derivatives of codeine. They are a man-made codeine. Next time you have any questions about drugs call up the pharmacy because these m****s on the internet have no clue. There are many 24 hour pharmacies that will help answer questions correctly.

Hydrocodone and Codeine are very similar in structure, they are both derivatives of morphine but are both still "man made". I seriously hope you are not naive enough to think anything that you are getting a prescription for isn't "man made". In fact, codeine is 8 to 12 % the strength of morphine. And yes, you can call a pharmacy...but then again I have caught several pharmacists around here giving inaccurate info...the person asking the question is probably not an id**t and realizes there are 24 hour pharmacies and doesn't need your help coming to that conclusion. By the way....I happen to be allergic to codeine but I am not to hydrocodone. Apparently this happens frequently...further proving that they are in deed not the same thing.

m****s? Again with the criticism but without the information to back it up. Vicodin and Lortabs are not derivatives of codeine. I have no idea why you would write that. Especially considering that Lortabs and Viocodin both have Acetaminophen in them. Is acetaminophen a derivative of codeine? No! Maybe what you meant to say is hydrocodone is a derivative of codeine. That would be wrong also (see the comment after yours). Stop with the name calling. It actually only accentuates your ignorance of the subject.

WRONG!!

OK I am not trying to judge anyone here or step on toes but for the original questions creator , many of these posts are correct, an I am a nurse i would know. My sister asked me to reply to this so here I am. First off many people with an allergy to vicodin can still take lortab ( there is no i in lortab for those who would like to correct me) the actual difference is the compounds mixtures in creation. they are basically the same drug, yet vicodins formula is a slight bit different yet causing it to be stronger for some and milder for others, also causing more allergies than lortab. There are many formulas for different drugs in this family of pain killers, hope i helped. But if your looking for a milder med i agree with another poster try motrin 800 mg it is a pain reliever with an anti inflammatory for swelling and inflammation, and very helpful with out the normal addiction of the others. Hydorocodone/APAP combonations come in the following strengths

2.5/500 Lortab 2.5

5/325 Norco 5 and other brand names

5/400 Zydone, etc.

5/500 tablet and capsule Vicodin, Lortab 5, Hydorcet, etc.

7.5/325 Norco 7.5, etc.

5/400 Zydone, etc.

7.5/500 Lortab 7.5, etc.

7.5/650 Lorcet 7.5, etc.

7.5/750 Vicodin ES, etc.

10/300 Xodol

10/352 Norco 10, etc.

10/400 Zydone, etc.

10/500 Lortab 10, etc.

10/650 Lorcet Plus, etc.

10/660 Vicodin HP, etc.

10/750 Maxidone? etc.

and several compounded 15/80mg versions

I know people that have codeine allergies and they are able to use hydrocodone. Check with a pharmacist. I did, they said the difference is that Lortab is the trade name, just like "Kleenex is the brand name of tissues". But, check with a pharmacist. There is a lot of false info that has been posted here.

Vicodin and Lortab are brand names for the same drug. Enough with this thread. It is comical to read how many people replied, I can't believe I read it or that I'm replying. The person asking the question is probably drug-seeking.

You could try Ultram generic is Tramadol. It is the lesser of the the two evil's between Vicodin and Loratabs I beleive. Have ya tried Celebrex?? Good Luck..

You can try alternatives to opiates. You should discuss this with your doctor. Ultram ER is great for long term pain control. It is not considered a narcotic, but your body does break it down like one. Darvocet is also an alternative. It does not contain hydrocodeine or codeine, but does contain a narcotic pain releiver. I do not believe it is as addictive as the others.