Hello! I want to ask you something. Namely, I know that Tylenol and Ibuprofen are actually pain killer drugs. But, I have noticed that many people make difference between them. Can you explain me what is the difference between Tylenol and Ibuprofen? Are they actually same drug with different name? I am thanking you in advance!

Hello! They are not same drug with different name. They can be used for pain killing, you are right. But, Tylenol and Ibuprofen does not belong to the same drug group. Tylenol is analgesic, but Ibuprofen is non steroidal anti inflammatory drug (which means that, beside pain killing, it is blocking inflammation, too).

Hello there mufinella1645,

And besides the fact that corrina has provided you with I would just like to add that Tylenol is better if you want to get rid of pain. When I had distortion of my left leg ankle my doctor prescribed me Ibuprofen but this medication was making my stomach upset so I switch to Tylenol and there were no side effects what so ever.  If you have been treating infection and pain than Ibuprofen is better but if you just want to get rid of pain I would recommend Tylenol.

If you have some additional questions please free to ask and we will provide you with the best possible answer that we can.

Yes, I thought that Carver had a good post.  Both drugs are effective in relieving pain, but they are distinctly different drugs with different particular uses and side-effects.

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is used for reducing pain, fever, and vomiting.  It does not work for reducing inflammation, so someone with pain from an infection, gout, arthritis, etc should go with something else.  Tylenol also doesn't increase the acidity of the stomach (as aspirin and ibuprofen will) and it doesn't inhibit blood clotting (so people with a high risk of heart attack or stroke could benefit from the anti-clotting effects of Aspirin that is not available in Tylenol).  Also, if you drink 3+ serving of alcohol most days of the week, you should not take tylenol as it will cause serious liver damage.

Ibuprofen is used for pain, fever, and inflammation.  Ibuprofen will cause many patients to have increased acidity in their stomachs, a symptom avoided in tylenol (aspirin is the worst).  Ibuprofen can also cause kidney damage and should be avoided by anyone with preexisting known kidney problems.  

As a rule of thumb, pain relievers should not ever be used together as that can multiply their side-effects or hinder their beneficial actions.

Basically if you're a normal person with no health problems, just ask a pharmacist what you should buy and in what dosage; most will be more than willing to help you.  If you are older, overweight, hypertensive, have unique health problems, or pain that have been around for a long time without a diagnosis, you need to see a doctor who may be able to give you something as or more effective than either of these drugs.

Remember, Tylenol should NOT be taken by people with any LIVER PROBLEMS!