I am a 41 year old woman in good health. I do take Celebrex for arthritis. I had an automobile accident in 2007 which tore my rotator cuff, and while I had neck pain and lowered range of motion, it was thought that it was from the rotator cuff. After having surgery and pt for the rotator cuff, the pain in my neck and lowered range of motion never went away and included some numbness in my pinkie and ring finger on my right side. So, my doctor gave me an MRI. It turns out that I had some narrowing and a herniated disc. My doctor suggested that I have the cervical epidural steroid injections and facet injections in a series of three.
The first set, I hurt pretty bad for the first three days following the procedure. Let's call that a "flare up". However, once the flare up was over, the ROM had not changed, the pain was not any better than before, but the numbness had gone.
Second set, I explained to the doctor about the flare up, so they gave me a lidocaine patch for use after the procedure. Still had the flare up, lidocaine patch did not help, ROM has no change, and pain level was the same.
Third injection, I once again told the dr about my "flare ups". He decided to do the facet injections on both sides. They gave me a shot of Torodol and some kind of muscle relaxer patch that I cannot remember the name of.
Let me mention, here that he also gave me norco for pain which did not help. I did do twenty mins on and thirty mins off of ice after each injection. I tried heat and moist heat. I tried gentle stretching.
After the third injection, the "flare up" was worse. So much worse that I have developed trouble sleeping. I turn over in the night, and the pain in my neck wakes me. My ROM is down even with the gentle stretching because moving my neck just makes it hurt more. I have more pain now than I did before the injections. My last set of injections was over 15 days ago. I just do not know what to do.
I have called my dr and he tells me to do the ice and heat, norco, and gentle stretching and it will get better. I am not the type to complain normally, but I just feel like I am not being heard by him and this really hurts.
This is all not to mention the weight gain and the fact that I feel like I am hungry all the time.

Hi Debbi, I'm sorry to hear about all the pain that you're in because it sounds to me like you're having a hard time. Do you think that you'd consider getting a second opinion? I think that you might want to consider it. I certainly would. Let me know what you think!