I am a 41 year old woman in good health. I do take Celebrex for arthritis. I had an automobile accident in 2007 which tore my rotator cuff, and while I had neck pain and lowered range of motion, it was thought that it was from the rotator cuff. After having surgery and pt for the rotator cuff, the pain in my neck and lowered range of motion never went away and included some numbness in my pinkie and ring finger on my right side. So, my doctor gave me an MRI. It turns out that I had some narrowing and a herniated disc. My doctor suggested that I have the cervical epidural steroid injections and facet injections in a series of three.
The first set, I hurt pretty bad for the first three days following the procedure. Let's call that a "flare up". However, once the flare up was over, the ROM had not changed, the pain was not any better than before, but the numbness had gone.
Second set, I explained to the doctor about the flare up, so they gave me a lidocaine patch for use after the procedure. Still had the flare up, lidocaine patch did not help, ROM has no change, and pain level was the same.
Third injection, I once again told the dr about my "flare ups". He decided to do the facet injections on both sides. They gave me a shot of Torodol and some kind of muscle relaxer patch that I cannot remember the name of.
Let me mention, here that he also gave me norco for pain which did not help. I did do twenty mins on and thirty mins off of ice after each injection. I tried heat and moist heat. I tried gentle stretching.
After the third injection, the "flare up" was worse. So much worse that I have developed trouble sleeping. I turn over in the night, and the pain in my neck wakes me. My ROM is down even with the gentle stretching because moving my neck just makes it hurt more. I have more pain now than I did before the injections. My last set of injections was over 15 days ago. I just do not know what to do.
I have called my dr and he tells me to do the ice and heat, norco, and gentle stretching and it will get better. I am not the type to complain normally, but I just feel like I am not being heard by him and this really hurts.

Debbi, have you considered going to a different doctor and seeing what he or she says instead? It sounds like your doctor is ignoring you and that would be a good idea. What do you think?

Thanks for your answer. I apologize for not replying sooner, I had to leave town suddenly and did not have access to a computer where I was. Let me ask you, what kind of doctor do you think I should see? An Ortho or a neurosurgeon?

I think you should find a physical therapist. Find a fellowship trained manual physical therapist. Go to the AAOMPT and you can do the "find a fellow" feature. Based on the symptoms that you have described the evidence to justify these injections does not seem to be there in my opinion. In my experience if those injections are going to work, then it will usually work on the 1st one. One time make it worse so there is no reason to think that 3 times will all of a sudden make it better.

Dear debi in Pain ,
You need to see a Speacialist in the spine . Neurosurgeon or Someone who could
examine your new MRI. Which you most definately need A Sap . You may be a victim of a intrathecal
injection . Check the internet for a condition known as Arachnoiditis,seek out ain this area .Get a new
MRI with and with out contrast .
Trying to help A

Dear Debbie,

Like you I had all of those symptoms, I too was in major pain, low ROM, not sleeping, I had started taking pain pills to sleep! It was aweful. Then I found a Palmer Care Chiropractor, it changed my life, I don't take anything anymore!

I was sufering from Vertebral Sublexation, after 9months of treatment and NO DRUGS whatsoever I cannot tell you the improvement in my life! I hope you find a solution quickly!

All my best,

Vicki

I am scheduled to have the steroid shot but not sure after talking with the Dr. administering it. I found out the shot will be placed on my neck w/c I thought it will be placed on my spine lumbar area. I have a brain concussion, pinched nerves (neck area), spinal stenosis, neck, shoulders, arms disc protrusions on L4-L5 & cervical area among other things and this was from a car accident over ayear ago.

Honestly, unless you find yourself a really good pain specialist or neurologist, none of them hear us. I have been going through these issues since 2007, had neck fusion, lower back fusion and I still need to go get injections non stop. Not only for the pain, numbness, burning, stabbing,tingling pain, but also for migranes, which I never had one in my life until I had the fusion on my neck. And every doctor I have gone too seems to ask the same damn questions over and over at each visit. I managed to stick with one, my pain dr., and hes great, but its really disappointing when you feel like you just repeat your complaints every single visit and they still continue to never hear you or ever remember all of your issues until you remind them. Very Sad. Its horrible, depressing, and I am not sure that this is ever going to get any better myself. I feel worse then i did before I started this whole process over 5 years ago. Good Luck to you. I truley wish you the best with your treatments.

Debbi, I had a car accident in October, 2012 and after seeing specialist after specialist and getting a steroid injection in my neck by one pain specialist, I gave up on the doctors in a 200 mile radius from where I live...(in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan).  I decided to go back to my orthopedic surgeon in Milwaukee, Wi (who was the dr. for the Milwaukee Bucks for years) and I am so glad I did.  He did my low back surgery 6 years ago and I have had no problems with it since.  He has wonderful people working for him and associates that are the most amazing people.  I had another steroid shot last week and I am feeling soooo much better.  The orthopedic doctor is Dr. David Haskell and the anesthesiologist he works with is Dr. Steven Nakata.  After almost 5 years, they all remembered me and asked me how I was doing and everything.  It was so wonderful to know there ARE doctors out there that care and will help.  Don't give up.  You do not need to be in pain.  Also, I will pray for you that you heal soon.

Debbie, I am a 49 yr. old male and have back problems for 25yrs. and has taken me 5 operations and countless amounts of drugs to find the right DR. Search until you are comfortable that the Dr. is putting you ahead of his pockets. Also My pain Mgmt. Dr works closely wih his surgeon. I am still fighting the battle but at least i trust the guy working on me. New MrI's and more opinions. Always look for alternative ways, for me unfortunately even 2nd opinions usually ended up in surgery. In the end you need the right fit so to say of the Dr. who will be good to you