I`m 6 months pregnant and my back are killing me. I have a low back pain and my leg hurts. Sometimes I have to stay in bed for a whole day because I can`t stand on my feet as much as I want. My back hurts me, and even when I can stand, I can`t stand straight. I heard about epidural steroid injections, should I give it a try?

Epidural Steroid Injection provides relief from chronic low back or leg pain for one week up to one year. It is proved to be effective in reducing pain for 50% of patients studied. However, Epidural Steroid Injection shouldn`t be used by pregnant women, patients with bacterial infection or bleeding problem, due to its` side effects – it could give you an immunity decrease, high blood sugar, stomach ulcer, cataract, arthritis of the hips or transient flushing. Also, patients with a tumor should also avoid Epidural Steroid Injections. With an extra caution, Epidural Steroid Injections may use patients with allergies, and those on antiplatelet drugs.

I recently had an epidural steroid injection at 36 wks pregnant. I have suffered from low back, SI pain since I was 18 and I have always controlled it by physio, osteopathy and codeine phospate with heat/tens relief thrown in for good measure. The pain runs through my bum, down over my hip through the front of my thigh, through my knee, round the back of my calf, hits my ankle and then on the underside of my foot with a healthy dose of pins and needles. On good days, it can ache but in recent times has been burning and stabbing.
I expected back and pelvic discomfort/pain in pregnancy but never to the extent that I have experienced it in the past two months. After being given a revew by a physio experienced in treating pregnany women, on her advice, I planted myself in the maternity ward and refused to be budged until someone had explored the possibility of giving me an epidural steroid injection. Even after it was agreed that this was the most effective strategy, I had to wait a whole week further to have it.
Through the whole first consultation, the doctor wanted to pump me full of morphine based drugs. This was obviously not acceptable to me as I did not want my baby to become dependent on opiates in the womb.
The epidural injection was the best treatment I have ever had to take away my back pain. I wish I had it years ago. It has allowed me to enjoy the final stages of pregnancy, be more relaxed and positive, which I am sure the baby picks up on. I have read that some injections may have effect of one day, one week or could last a year or be the only injection you wll ever need to relieve your back pain. I couldnt care less, as long as it allows me to focus on the joys of pregnancy and allows me to be the best mum I can be to my daughter, who is due any day now.
I would seriously advise you to seek several lines of advice on this matter and go with your gut instinct. Although I was worried about the needle piercing the spinal sheath and causing a severe headache, losing mobility and the chance of the pain increasing, I knew if I didnt take the chance of the epidural, I would not be the best Mum I could be: I would do anything for my daughter. I am sure you will be the same.

I has this prodedure done when I was pregnant with a child who is now 17.

He had problems requiring repeated steroid adminstration from several weeks after birth on.   In comparing his issues to my other two pregnancies, it is a marked difference and I WISH TO GOD I had just lived with the pain and not gotten the injection.   

I am curious what problems arose? I had this procedure done when I was around 36 weeks. My daughter is now almost 10 and she has had multiple little problems all along. From benign external hydrocephalus to delayed speech to ADHD. We have had many tests run with no concrete answers. Just wondering what your situation was.....

I just wanted to let you know that I was never under any anesthesia and two of my three children born have ADD ADHD social anxiety problems along with many other problems. My sister is well never was under in a seizure while pregnant three of her four children have disabilities to our artistic three of three have ADD and ADHD . so genetics can play a major part I wouldn't go pointing fingers until you've been genetically tested to see if you carry any of those things. My best friend has two daughters one has spina bifida and one has delayed speech and refuses to talk at five years old the spina bifida is three she was never under Anastasia ever in her entire life sometimes he just gets dealt a shitty hand I wish you and your family the best but remember there's always solutions to every problem it always places they're willing to help parents in need with disabled and difficult children take a deep breath and Day by day will get better