I have the same problem for months, that’s why I understand what’s going on with me. I couldn’t be not to read more about it. I found out I have inflammation of cervical nerve roots. Since this causes pain in cervical region my doctor recommended cervical epidural injection. Before I do it, need some information about what should I be prepared to.

Cervical epidural injection is given into cervical epidural space. That is space that surrounds dura membrane, which covers the spine and nerve roots in the neck. Nerves travel through this epidural space to the neck, shoulder, and arm. Inflammation of these nerve roots might cause pain in cervical regions due to irritation from a damaged disc or from contract with the bony structure of the spine in some way. Cervical epidural injection places anti inflammatory medicine into the cervical epidural space to decrease inflammation of the nerve roots. Hopefully it reduces the pain in the neck, shoulders and arms. It might help the injury to heal by reducing inflammation and provide permanent relief or provide a period of pain relief for several months. After cervical epidural injection has been given patient is returned to the recovery area where they are monitored for 30-60 minutes. Then patients are asked to record relief they experience during the next week on a post injection evaluation sheet, or so called “pain diary”. Follow-up appointment will be made for a repeat block if indicated. Usually those cervical epidural injections are done in a series of three about two weeks apart.

edythe wrote:

My boyfriend has stenosis and we went to a surgeon who recomended surgery. He wants to do a anterior cervical discectomy w alograph and locking plate. Do you think this could be avoided? Is it worth it to try the injections? He is already walking funny has clonus in both of his legs and cant feel his hands too well. Hmm. maybe I should have posted this some where else? oops sorry.

I have two bulging discs C5 and C6, with C6 being the worst. I have severe pain in my neck, shoulder, spasms in my right arm and numbness and tingling in my first three fingers. I just had my second Cervical epidural injection 4 days ago. The second one was done at the hospital using video xray during the injection. I have had no relief at all from the injections. What is the next step to get relief? I'm so tired of taking the pain pills and muscle relaxers, which only make me foggy and gets rid of the pain because I'm knocked out. Any thoughts would be great.

Guest wrote:

i have had all your same problems and found out i have thoracic outlet syndrome... go to tellmeabouttos.com it is a very useful site... also i had gained about 35lbs from my injections and have tried everything to lose weight and nothing works!

I just had an cervical epidural today I understand the pain but should I be breaking out in a cold sweat.An should my arm be burning?I am really feeling like c**p.Is this normal

Guest wrote:

Have you done any physical therapy before or after the injection? I have the same with possible thoracic outlet syndrome and degenerative dics in my cervical area. The PT is helping a good deal, today the day after my injection my neck is stiff and sore but my arms are felling somewhat better. I take absolutely nothing for pain (much to my dismay) but there are other drugs you can take that will help as well. ask you doc about PT and possibly placing you on neurontin. Good luck and I pray I won't experience any of these severe side effects

Guest wrote:

Try Botox, much faster relief, no side effects, no gaining weight, I love it. Use it now 2 years, and it last as long as steroids or cortisone or what. They make you only weight gain, and they don't last any longer. Sometimes, I even did not get any relief. Had a car accident 4 years ago, Head-shoulder-neck pain. Botox helped me greatly.