i have 2 herniated discs the c5 and c6 from a whiplash injury 4 months ago,nothing has seemed to work in relieving the burning sensation i often feel along with the shooting pains up and down my upper back and neck.now the chripractor has reffered me to a pain managment specialist who wants me to get epidural injections is this benefitial?i recently had trigger point injections which seemed to cause more harm than good .that was 1 wk ago from today.

i have had all your same problems and found out i have thoracic outlet syndrome... go to tellmeabouttos.com it is a very useful site... also i had gained about 35lbs from my injections and have tried everything to lose weight and nothing works!

Here is a great link http://www.bigbackpain.com/epiduralsteroidinjection.html that explains these injections iand results n detail.

I blew 3 discs in my lower back (herniated, bulgingh, degenerated discs, osteostenosis, osteoarthritis, cynovial cyst with direct pressure on nerve root to L leg) and my chiropractor also recommended a pain specialist and MRI. The secret is to find one who is very well trained and very experienced. Mine treats many professional athletes and high profile people in Atlanta. I spent one week living on the living room floor in front of the fireplace waiting to see Dr. Howard Williams in Marietta, GA. The thought "well I can always OD on coccaine and end it if I can't stant it any more" kept me going, and I'm a health food nut/naturalist trained in the medical field.

Those 3 epidural injections and around 20 facet joint/trigger point injections (over a couple of months or so) SAVED MY LIFE. Period. I still have some pain from time to time, but nothing that pushes me over the edge like that initial occurance. Corticosteroids did rearrange my middle age spread but I don't care. I AM ALIVE!

I tried 9 weeks if physical therapy and nada though it did help strengthen my core. Yoga is the best for getting the body back into shape. Drink a lot of water and watch your diet. You must change your lifestyle to accomodate this injury.

May you find pain free peace!

I had your similar problem-car acc.-rupered 3 disks (CC 4-5, 5-6, 6-7.

I ultimately had a cervica fusion on all three levels. However, I have used steroid epdurals for cervical issues and back issues. They really seemed to help although sometimes not as much. I guess it boils to who is doing it and their experience. It helped enough to "buy me some time" so that I could try some more conservative pain options before giving in to surgery. We're all different and respond in different ways, but you might want to try it at least once and see what relief you get. If it works, there are other invasive pain relief options that can be utilized before surgery.

Tip: Don't ever think that surgery will take care of your pain issues, although it will probably be better. Once you spine is damaged and surgery has interrupted the integrity of your spine it leaves a mark. Everything seems to have a trade-off of some sort. Be sure to utilize ice on your neck every day..it really helps, albeit temporary. Try everything natural that you can control. I could write a book of "How to help with pain control"!!. Good luck.