Hi, few days ago I had a sudden attack of pain in my neck and shoulder, I went to the doctor right away and he said that it might be the problem with the inflammation of my cervical spinal nerves. Back then he gave me ibuprofen to cope with the pain, and said that I should report if it doesn’t get any better. I took few doses of ibuprofen but they didn’t help me much, I talked to my doctor on the phone and he said that I should come to the hospital to have a cervical epidural injection of steroids. I know that has something to do with my spine and needles how would that reduce my pain… is the procedure risky and painful?

Cervical epidural injection of steroid analgesic is a standard procedure in reducing pain caused by an epidural infection such as infection of spinal nerve roots. The word cervical means that it is in the neck, so it is about vertebral column in the neck, the word epidural means that the injection is administered in the epidural space, the space between the bone of the vertebra and the dura mater, the thick and hard membrane which wraps around the spinal cord. The procedure is very effective in reducing pain in about 50 % of cases, you will probably feel nothing more than a sting and then the pain will reduce its intensity – in other words there’s nothing to be afraid of, its not as bad as it sounds.

I had an injection 2 weeks ago C7 to help C4 & C5) and am going in for my 2nd one tomorrow. It is somewhat painful eventhough they are using medication to help with this. My first did not work, but that is not to say yours won't. I broke my neck back in 1995 and have been in pain every day of my life since. There are serious complications that can occur due to the procedure including paralysis and death. Do your research on the internet and this should help. I am very scared to have this done again, but it seems better than not living my life at all in pain everyday. I hope yours went or goes well and good luck!!! I know how the pain can get to ya!

Any update on your condition? I have the same problem - whiplash accident 4 yrs ago resulted to my chronic neck pain. I am scheduled to undergo this procedure next week.

I'm getting it done on August 22nd and I'm scared also. This will be my first time.I was told I will be in alot of pain for a couple of weeks afterwards is this true? I hope they give me some serious medicine for the pain.

you need to read all of the horror stories of the people who have had injections done. I have an appointment scheduled on april 18th and no way am i going thru with this procedure.