I'm scheduled for cervical epidural injection tomorrow, and I was wondering how long does it take to recover from it and how long will the procedure last? I have a very tight schedule and I would like to be up on my feet as soon as possible, will I be able to continue my daily routines instantly?

Cervical epidural injection is a little bit more complicated procedure than you may think. Depending on the medical staff conducting the procedure, it shouldn’t take more than 2 hours in total to do it. After the procedure itself you will be kept in hospital for observation for 30 – 60 minutes and if everything goes without complications you should be released from the hospital. I think it would be the best to stay at home that day and try to get as much rest as possible since cervical epidural injection causes a certain degree of trauma to your organism. Since you will probably take more than one injections over the period of few weeks I think that during those few weeks you should take some time off from your every day life duties.

I had one of these on Tuesday and the procedure took about 3 minutes.
Prep for it took about 5 minutes but the actual procedure took about 2-3 minutes. Although the skin was numbed, it does hurt quite a bit when getting the epidural. It takes such a short time to do though, it is nothing compared to the pain you feel from suffering from what ever caused you to have to get the epidural.

They will tell you after you leave to take it easy although you are able to do just about anything that isn't strenuous. They told me I could go shop etc as long as I didn't do anything strenuous. etc. Being that I was sore though, I decided to go home and sleep for a couple of hours. You will be sore for a few days but after the first day are able to go back to normal routine.

Good luck!

:'(

I'm scheduled for a injection on Monday April 21. I'm nervous about having the injection. Do most people have to have a second injection? It's just the unknow I guess. I've been thourgh brain surgery this couldn't be any worse. ;-)

I just had one today and I also had one on March 25 of this year. The first one was bad because they didn't give me an IV with relaxation medicine and i was uptight. The doc also didn't use an xray to guide the needle. It was a bit painful but the one I had today was a much better experience. The staff was VERY supportive and I had it done at a surgery center instead of the ER hospital, and, the doc used an xray, plus I was laying on my stomach, instead of sitting up with my neck to my chest, and the relaxation medicine worked wonders in relaxing during the procedure so it wasn't so bad. It only seemed to last a minute. It was just like a shot in the neck, with a big sting as they say when you get a shot. The worst part is the being sore afterwards ,as about 6 hours afterwards my neck is stiff and sore but should be better in a day or two. Good luck!

I am a Rt , while moving a bunch of 200LB tanks I got a herniated L5 and a buldging F4 hitting a L5 nerve, i thought I pulled a muscle-but the mri showed the findings,OK about the Epidual, the antisipation is worse than the shot-don't believe the stories you read on the net, I just felt a sting and it was over--I felt relief in 7 days--working with a PT-all i have left is a burning right theigh,,listen to your body, when it hurts stop, don;t sit-
lay on you stomach ,work on decompressing your spine--I am willing to do it as long as it takes--its hard work-it could take a year-but surgery is out of the question- I believe the body will heal-but this area takes a long time

I had one done 1/18/2011 yesterday, the pain is still there and yes it does hurt, my muscle were real tight so it took longer then schedule for the needle to go through. Went home and rested back @ work today

the procedure was painfull,after injection no pain only with the procedure was there pain.Gave me moderate relief for approx. 6 months, d/t herniated discs c,3,4,5,.cervical neck traction kit helps some what, still recieve pt, and oxys.It took them a half an hour, I was off work one day, the next day. Then back to work as a commerical plumber.you should be ok.

I had a cervical epidural yesterday and I am happy to say it did NOT hurt and I am having some relief today from my arm and neck pain. I know that the first procedure is a "lighter" dose to be sure you tolerate it well. Make sure you plan on relaxing the first day. Don't worry and good luck Cindy/.

it doest hurt much , lay down the rest of the day . tomorrow
you will feel like a new person if it was the right spot

It takes longer then 3 minutes if that's all it took you need a new doctor...

True story me to