Users comments and reviews on article Self-Injury Disorder by SirGan

DBT is an excellent way to help cure a selfesteem problem like this and I think that it would really help. I noticed that there was another article on here that's similar and they said that you might want to try using a red pencil if you self-injure to see blood. I hoipe that helps! DOes anyone suffer from this?

I have "SID" - I did a group DBT program, but didn't find it very helpful. Breathing practices don't work for me, and the change strategies like "Self-Soothing" "Improving the Moment" "Distraction" (*reading from booklet*) were obvious, not things I needed to pay $10 per session for to have someone tell me. Writing stuff out is helpful as I'm a creative writer, but I couldn't take the forms seriously("Emotion Mind to Wise Mind Shift" etc). Urge surfing is only useful when there's ready access to distraction or leaving a situation. You have to be willing to or wanting to give up self-harm for this program to work for you. As always, it depends on the type/causes of anxiety driving you to s-h. One-on-one psychotherapy is the most useful thing I've found so far. Luckily there are sliding-scale cost resources out there.

Personally, that red marker thing doesn't work. Maybe try dripping red ink or something that looks remotely more real. I heard if you want to pick at scabs, to use henna or cheap temp tattoos or something of that nature. For me, I need the smell to really calm down. Heh heh, I wonder if eBay has blood-scented products, vampirism is a fad now.