My mom was diagnosed with arthritis and is supposed to get some corticosteroid injections. My mom has always been very sensitive to drugs and even if she was supposed to take some, she usually tried to take some herbal supplements or something. She got older and I am afraid that she may react to these new drugs. Is there anybody who could tell me what side effects can appear when a patient receives these corticosteroid injections? Thx

Cortisone injections into a joint are beneficial for quickly reducing joint pain while restoring function to a body part immobilized by inflammation and pain. Cortisone injections into a joint can decrease the inflammation in diseased joints throughout the body when the corticosteroids are absorbed from the joint into the circulation. It is generally felt that low intermittent doses of corticosteroids pose little risk of significant side effects. Unique side effects of joint injections involve injury to the joint tissues, especially with repeated injections. These injuries include thinning of the joint cartilage, weakening of the ligaments of the joint, increased inflammation in the joint (arthritis) due to a reaction to a corticosteroid that has crystallized, and introduction of infection into the joint but are rare.