Hi! I have problem with shoulder pain. I have pain while sleeping at night. Also I have pain over the outside of the shoulder. Doctor diagnosed me shoulder bursitis. He prescribed me Advil, but this drug doesn’t help me at all. What are best meds for shoulder pain? Does anyone have similar experience?

Hi! I also had shoulder pain. I tried anti-inflammatory medications, but these medications didn’t help me. The best rule of thumb to follow: 'If it causes pain, don't do it!' This includes simple activities such as reaching high objects or reaching behind you. If anti-inflammatory medications doesn’t help the next step is usually a cortisone injection, or steroid shot, into the area of inflammation. I had cortisone injection, and I have pain relief. You should try anti-inflammatory medications, before cortisone injection. Cortisone injections can weaken tendons, and repeated cortisone injections should be carefully considered. Good lack!

My daughter was diagnosed with hip bursitis, which I assume causes a similar pain as shoulder bursitis. When she first started experiencing pain, before she went to the doctor, she relied on ibuprofen to reduce the pain. It turns out that NSAIDs can cause some pretty serious side effects if you use them in the long term. 

The best pain killers for short term pain relief aren't necessarily the best pain killers for the long haul, and oftentimes you want to shy away from relying on pain killers at all. It's best to do whatever you do in consultation with your doctor so that you minimize the side effects and maximize pain relief. Of course, treating the underlying cause of the pain is always best where possible. 

HTH

i'm 18 an have shoulder problems. i've had this for two years now an have gone threw one surgery 6 cortizone shots, bottles of anti imflamitorry pills, gone threw bottles of icyhot tuns of ice an two heating pads i dont know what to do? any of the dr's ive seen think im a "drug addict" but all i want is to be comfertable. most nights i get very little sleep i have pains that get so bad i can't move my arms. PLEASE does anyone have any advice?

mike

talk to your doc about a combo of 2 drugs 1. valium 2mg. 2times aday. 2.norco 10mg. every 6hrs. the other thimg i can tell you is to invest in a portable massage mat. they are very good at relaxing the muscles.

try a chiropractor who also performs physical therapy.

NICE ONE THANK YOU SO MUCH

If you can talk him in to giving you Celebrex- you will see a world of difference. Only problem is the Dr's dont like to prescribe over 30 days because it is bad for your kidneys, but IT WORKS!!!!!!!

I finally gave in and had surgery and it has been 1 year and it still hurts at night

a chiropractor can help, do try.

I have the same problem as well. I have had 3 operations on my right shoulder and developed arthritis in the whole arm. My pain is terrible. Cannot do anything with my right arm. I have tried taking aleve when I get up and when I go to sleep, That helps a little, but as soon as I use it or lift anything over 5 pounds the pain is unbelievable. Sorry I cannot be of more help, But I do feel you pain

Treatment for Shoulder Pain (Medically Reviewed)
Treatment will depend on the cause and severity of the shoulder pain and may include:

physical therapy
use of a sling or shoulder immobilizer
nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs)
corticosteroids (powerful anti-inflammatory drugs that are injected into the shoulder)
surgery
arthroscopic surgery, which is performed through a tiny incision
If you’ve had surgery on your shoulder, follow after-care instructions carefully.

Preventing Shoulder Pain
Simple shoulder exercises can help to stretch and strengthen muscles and rotator cuff tendons. A physical therapist can show you how to do them properly.
If you’ve had previous issues with your shoulders, use ice for 15 minutes after exercising to prevent future injuries.
After a bout of bursitis or tendinitis, performing simple range-of-motion exercises every day can keep you from getting frozen shoulder.

And by using state of the art technology, there’s a Vitamins for Joint Heath. Vitamins that has unique blend of three (3) natural ingredients formulated to protect the joints. That combined in an innovative compound to promote joint health.
It contains these carefully combined nutrients, shown to provide joint health benefits specially for the age's 40yrs. old above:
- To help build joint cartilage.
- Has naturally occurring nutritional sulfur shown to support healthy connective tissues like tendons, ligaments and muscle? MSM supports normal pressure inside cells and removes toxins.
- Rejuvenating and repairing joints.

such as heat or ice packs and painkillers may help reduce pain and treat minor injuries at home.

cortisone works for me

Try marijuana. As funny as it sounds it seems to numb the pain and helps sleep at night. A sativa type is what you want

Nope indica is for pain.