Since I had accident, my elbow constantly makes me problem. Now it is inflamed, so it hurts badly. My doctor recommended me cortisone injection. I know it will be mixed with a local anesthetic and then injected into my elbow, but still I am afraid. Are there some possible side effects with cortisone injections I should be prepared for?

When anesthetic wears off, the area where cortisone injection was given may be quite sore. Your doctor may recommend putting an ice bag on the area for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours after cortisone injection. Also you should take anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen is. Cortisone will reduce the inflammation and give you pain relief within 2 to 3 days. Sometimes, it will permanently relieve your symptoms. Side effects, beside this soreness are rare with cortisone injection. Possible side effects include slight discoloration of the skin where cortisone injection was shot. Shrinkage of the fatty tissue beneath where the shot was given is also reported as side effect. Pain, infection, and weakening or tendon rupture are rare. Increase in blood sugar may be temporary increased after shot with diabetic patients.