Is there no end to what people will do just for a high?? Absolutely shocking also that this is teens who think that its a 'game'. Drugs is one thing but to deliberately starve yourself or others (!!) of oxygen is bordering on the insane, everyone knows it is one of the basic things we need to stay alive.

ummmm, yeah, last year I saw a 60 Minutes special or something on this and it freaked me out! Some kids are even doing it to themselves to get the "high" and a lot of kids have died from it. Its so tragic. I would much rather my child smoke a joint then be choked by one of his/her peers...I'm sorry but it is 'crazy'. It reminds me of the EMO kids who cut themselves. I do understand some cutters have real issues, but some of these kids are just doing it because its the new "fad". Just crazy!

About 10 years ago they found a guy I knew, hanging in his attic. His wife didn't understand why his pants were down around his feet and I don't know if anyone ever told her. They were in their 40s at the time. I had heard about that before he died but was surprised to hear that he was doing it. I believe they called it a suicide, not a masturbation accident.

I certainly don't see where there can be any pleasure in strangulation. I get rather panicky when I can't get enough air and don't consider that a good feeling at all.

However, I believe the French name for orgasm is literally, The Little Death.
So maybe they're onto something there.

I think I'll pass 8-|

How Sad! Everyone thinks that your husband was so unhappy that he took his own life, when, in reality, he was just getting off (in his own little special way). Tragic!

Oh, and I'm not sure the kids have grasped the concept of the choking + sex (or masturbation)....but to think of young teenagers doing one of these things is frightening, but two together...well....enough said!

I just hope this is all gone by the time my daughter is this age...YIKES!

Ya, babyb, that's a great choice. Do you want your friends to think he comitted suicide or do you want them to think he was doing some whako masturbation thing? If she truly didn't know, should the cops tell her? What should they tell her? Which would be worse for her to know?

Of course, I can't see how choking can be a thrill, but I never went in for smoking formaldahyde or sniffing paint or any other strange fumes either. I wasn't too crazy about the ether they gave me when they took my tonsils. It felt like I was smothering on something that burned my throat and lungs.

When I graduated from high school we had not heard of pot. Four years later when I got home from the army it was a major problem in my old high school. It didn't take long for that to invade. I don't know why kids are so willing to try something that can hurt or even kill them.

njoynlife wrote:

babyblues1222 wrote:

Peer pressure mainly, looking cool and being the first to do something new (that's cool). I know that first hand, I never joined in and often felt left out and lonely - grew up and realised I'd made the right decision though.

First time in 333 posts I've screwed up my quotes :-P . That was indeed njoynlife :-)

NJoyn -- that is exactly what I was thinking. I don't know which would be worse, I really don't. That is a tuffy for sure!

Well, I was the one who participated in the "cool" activities (not huffing or anything like that just the "normal" kind of stuff), but I turned out OK...I can't say the same for some of my other friends who hopped on the 'drug' bandwagon in highschool. The affects of marijuana are nothing compared to this choking game....smoking a joint...you just chill and relax...and eat; but, choking, well, the consequences = wake up or NOT wake up. Just scary!

Like I said, I can't imagine what will be around when my daughter is a teenager...that is 10 years aways! Geesh!

Babyb, I don't blame you for being scared for your daughter when she gets there. I'm always amazed at some of the things the cops find people using on those reality cop shows. You'd have to be out of your mind to do some of those things and I suppose they are out of their minds.

I used to be very much against marijuana because I lost my driver to it and I watched two other excellent dragster drivers go down the tubes because of it. But that was back in the 60s. Now I even enjoy watching Cheech & Chong and I like "Up In Smoke". I even have a shortcut to it on YouTube on my desktop. I think pot gets a bad rap only because it's illegal and to get it they have to deal with people who have something "better" to sell. I don't think it's any worse than alcohol, just different.

Remember the scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where they stumble out of the VW van with the cloud of smoke coming out the door? I saw that scene 12 years before the movie was made. Most of us who owned dragsters were the ones who built the drag strip, so even though our own cars had finished, we couldn't leave until the racing was done for the day. My driver and two others who liked the stuff used to get in a car and go to the back of the track and smoke. One day I drove near there and their car looked like it was stuck so I went to investigate. When they got out of the car it was exactly like that movie scene. That's when we found out what they were doing down there every week. It was a popular spot. We hired Pinkerton guards to do security and we used find them down there drinking beer. The guards we hired to replace them, found the same spot too.

Yep - I work in the medical field...luckily I have only witnessed this one time. It is crazy what is done these days! And it doesn't really seem to have any socio-economic factors to it. Our society likes to think that things like this don't happen to educated people - but that is not the case with this. It can happen to anyone's family - it just goes to show...you HAVE to talk to your kids. You HAVE to know what they are doing...who they are with...and know stuff about their friends. It's way too late after it happens to realize we should have more involvement in our kids lives!

So, I watched this movie last night, it was called "World's Greatest Dad" with Robin Williams. My husband picked it up, thinking it was a comedy, and let me tell you...it was far from a comedy. Robin William's son in the movie killed himself by masturbating and choking himself at the same time. Robin Williams found him and staged it as a suicide. Anyway, the movie goes from there.

This was not a typical Robin Williams flick, and it was quite disturbing. Just wanted to post cause it made me think of this conversation!

Wow, what is this world coming to. I do think that kids who are doing this should watch this movie....I'm sure it would scare them enough to stop...atleast I would hope!

Strange one that babyblues, a quick look on the internet and its down as a comedy/drama on imdb. It also says "Robin Williams has a full frontal nude scene in this movie", hmmm not a very nice thought :-(

Maybe that was why he made the film though, to raise awareness - as you say its not generally his kind of film.

I still can't understand why anyone would do this. Its so obvious its going to kill you, even little kids would know this isn't right.

Hmmm...comedy/drama just doesn't fit. It had a little bit of 'dry' humor, but nothing that made me or my hubby laugh out loud at all. And, YES, he did have a full frontal nude scene, however, it was under water and mainly just catches you by surprise...by the time you realize whats going on, its done and over with XD

I'm thinking maybe this was more of a move to raise awareness, though, I had never heard of it until my husband brought it home.

The whole thing is just so scary anyway.

The warning signs may be the most important part of this article:

Unexplained marks on the neck.
Bloodshot eyes.
Ropes, scarves or belts tied to bedroom furniture or doorknobs.
Bent closet rods.
Out of place leashes or bungee cords.
Bleeding under the skin on the face, especially the eyelids.
Talking about the choking game.
Disorientation, especially after being alone.

I sure hope more parents/teachers/doctors become aware of this...too many kids are dying from it already!