This post is an extension of the

Zoloft Withdrawal Experiences thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I have been taking Zoloft for four months. I suffered a severe concussion in football and entered a deep depression surrounded with intense migraines and personality issues. I was prescribed 50 mg of zoloft taken every day. Three days ago, i quit. I have vertigo, i feel like i have electricity pulsing through my entire body, i am getting severe headaches and I have begun to speak rashly and angrily. Last night, I had a hot flash and began trembling and sweating and my left leg began to jump like it did when i got to the hospital right after getting the concussion. I then fell into a dream like state in which I saw a face made of rain clouds in my fan and that someone wouldn't let go of my leg. Right now I am having what i could only describe as a cold flash, and for the past three days, my whole body is itching. Keep in mind that i am genetically predisposed to substance dependence. (Most of my grandfather's family died from opium addiction and his brother and father were alcoholics, his brother died from an erupted liver) I tried taking benadryl and excedrin, but had to quit to avoid the dependence i fear i will develop. I need something natural that i won't become physically dependent on. I feel completely helpless right now. Help please :-)

I have been off of zoloft for about a month. I attempted many times to stop taking the drug with no success. Until finally I decided I was going to stop cold turkey, the &%*& with the consequences. Well it has been very hard as I have come to see it is for a great many people. I have had massive mood swings which make my job in sales very difficult. I get angry over the stupidest stuff, and sad and sometimes happy over crazy things. Sometimes all at once. I only have one questions that I beg some one to answer for me. Has any one successfully gone off of this drug yet and how long does it take once you have stopped taking it completely? It would help a lot if I could just see the finish line.

Yes I was on Zolft several yeas ago. I went off of it slowly. I was up to 150mg. so for a month or month in half at a time I reduced the dosage 25 mg untill I was down to 0. That seem to help alot. I did not feel the withdraws or other symptoms. I was only on it for 14 months. That was in 2003. Now I am on it again, since December. I have the generic this time. However I experience vertigo and my whole body tingles like its eletric. This only happened a few times, and that was when I waited to long to refill. After at least 24 hours of not taking one, I develope vertigo and progressivly get worse until I take one. Then within a few hours I feel better. As long as I take as directed I am fine with it. My recomendation is if you want come off of zoloft do not quit cold turkey. You need to taper down to adjust your body and brain.

I just went off Zoloft about a week ago. 2 days into it I was very dizzy but that was it. Now, I'm very sleepy but I have trouble sleeping. I feel like I don't care about anything right now. This drug is not worth it. I haven't had many withdrawl symptoms but I will keep you posted.

I only took Zoloft for two days, hated it immediately then stopped. The first day I took 50mgs and accidentally drank some chamomile tea without knowing what would happen and could have sworn I got a mild case of Seratonin Syndrome! The next day I tried only 25mgs but still felt odd - stiff neck and a puffy feeling in my sinuses and probably had higher than normal blood pressure (not to mention a numb forehead). The day after that I stopped cold turkey and wasn't expecting any side affects but still got dizzy with aches and pains, like I'd gotten the flu. Today I feel a lot better but have a little vertigo left

But that seems strange to me: even though I only took Zoloft for TWO DAYS should I have gotten any withdrawal symptoms?

?

Hello all, I have been taking zoloft off and on for about two years. I rarely take it every day, I may take it once a month if that. I have never really had bad withdrawal sympoms luckily, but I only took 50 miligrams every so often. So two weeks ago I happen to take it no schedule, I was already feeling not so well so I figured that would help. Well I have been experiencing, the nausea a little dizziness, irritibility, however there is a chance I could be pregnant. Before I worry myself about pregnancy ( to early for a test), I am hoping it's withdrawal symptoms. But could it be withdrawal when I don't take it regularly and a low dose?? And the symptoms come and go they don't last the whole day? Anyone pregnant??? lol 8-|

I tried to quit zoloft cold turkey a few months ago- but I was immobilized for two days , shaking on the bed, with extreme brain zaps and vertigo. So I went to the doctor, and I was slowly tapered off of my original 200mg dosage. I have been off Zoloft for a week. It is not nearly as bad as before, but I am still getting brain zaps ,dizziness, hot flashes, inability to focus. Luckily the physical symptoms are worse than the emotional- I feel mentally alright, nothing out of the ordinary- (except sadness and anxiety- which is just how I am normally.)
I am scared it will get worse. I can't stay home all day- I have things to do...

does anyone know a way to at least ease the symptoms?
I have been searching the web for a while now, and I find a lot of people going through the same things, but no way of coping with it...
I can't call my doctor because they recently went out of business.
Has anyone found anything to make it even a wee bit better?

I am currently in week two of Zoloft withdrawal. I was on it from 2004 for PMDD. I started out taking 25mg from mid cycle till end of cycle. A few months into this routine, when I stopped taking Zoloft at end of cycle, I started experiencing (what I now know to be) Brain Shivers, severe nausea, sensitivity to sounds, anxiety and flu like symptoms. I thought I was going crazy, which lead me to be depressed. I explained everything to my doctor, who diagnosed me as depressed increased my dose to 50mg every day for my new found "depression".

I now realize that my symptoms back then were withdrawal symptoms and not depression.

Fast forward to today...withdrawal is terribly hard. The first week was 50mg every second day, then nothing after the weekend. So here I am into the second week. Mentally, I feel great, maybe a little tired, but, hey, I'm going through withdrawal! The worst of the symptoms are the nausea and Brain Shivers, but now I know why and what these symptoms are and know that I'm not going crazy.

Here's what has helped me with my symptoms:

I have not seen anything posted out there that has dealt with the symptom of Brain Shivers. What has helped with Brain Shivers is a product called Sea-Band. These are used primarily for sea sickness and motion sickness. They're wrist bands that put pressure on the Nei Kuan acupressure point. Believe it or not, these have helped. They do not taken them away completely, but, hey, I HATE THE BRAIN SHIVERS!

For the Nausea, the bands have helped also, but I have also been taking Gravol Ginger anti-nausea pills.

And get as much rest at night as possible. One Tylenol before bed has helped me stay asleep.

Hi there... I understand completely what you are going through. I have been on Zoloft for over 12years and love what it does for me - but have tried a couple of times weaning off; 2 times cold turkey, and 1 time weaning. Weaning is essential and MUST be done right. The half life of Zoloft is roughly a day, that means that the schedule your doc has you on is ridiculous - going without anything for 2 days (the weekend) is not right! Please do some research on tapering off of this medication online - listen to patients testimony. It's so unfortunate, but trusting some of these doctor's can be suicide (ridiculous isn't it). I once had one of these "professionals" put me on a combination of drugs that I should have never been put on... anyway... through all of my research, I would never try tapering off for a period less than a month. Get your pharmacy to fill your script with 25mg, scored tablets... that way you can do 50mg for a week, then 25mg for a week-and-half, then half of a 25mg for another week-and-half <-- this is just a suggestion, but much more manageable (this is what I used to wean off without the effects you have described).

Please let me know if you have any questions. The nautious / "spacey" feeling is absolutely awful and should never be experienced. By weaning off for a longer period of time you give your brain time to compensate.

I've been been trying to get off zoloft for a couple of weeks, been on 150 mg (1 1/2 tablets) for 9 years. I don't know if I'm experiencing "brain shivers" But I'm definitely experiencing a shushing sound in my head when I turn my head quickly.

I've been taking Zoloph the generic setetraline, for four years now. I stoped taking it cold turkey two years ago when I got pregnant with my son. I had horrible heart palpatations and virdigo, fainting, light headedness, and body pulses. I'm pregnant now with my second child and have been off of it for about two weeks this time I went every other day for three days and then every two days for three days and then every three days for three days and I'm still having brain zaps, pulses, tingleing of my lips, severe rage, and my body feels like its a heart beat pulsating, I have really bad night sweats and am really tired all the time. I've gotten off of it before so I know there is light at the end of the tunnel its just a sucky journey weather you wean off or cold turkey it....you just have to get through it. Good luck to everyone! I probably wont go on this drug again after this child is born as I just could never face going off this again.

i have been on zoloft for 10 years and have tried on several occasions to wean myself off of it, unsuccessfully. this time i tapered my dosage (beginning with 50 mg.) over the course of 4 months. each time i tapered a dose, say every 4 weeks, i experienced nausea, brain tingles, vertigo, and anxiety. these symptoms would only last a few days and then i would be fine. after stopping completely, all of those symptoms were exacerbated and i am now on week 2 with nausea, diarrhea, vertigo, brain tingles, feelings of restlessness, and bad dreams. i haven't found anything to help the symptoms, and they are really dreadful. but it just helps knowing you're not alone and that these symptoms are more common than they should be.

Regarding Zoloft Withdrawals..IT GETS BETTER!! I began taking zoloft 50mg about 4 months ago for anxiety/depression. I began to have severe heartburn during the night so much that I would lose about 3 hours of sleep every other night. It also made me so incredibly sleepy during the day that I could not function at my job. I saw my doctor after the 4th month and let her know the issues I was having with the medication. She suggested that I taper off of the Zoloft and get on Wellbutrin 150mg. She told me to taper to 25mg and follow up with her in 2 weeks. I made the mistake of taking the 25mg tablet for one week and then stopping altogether without following up with my doctor. About 3 days after my last Zoloft pill I began to have really shaky hands. When I would go to pick up a glass of water my hands would shake so badly that I would almost spill the drink. The 4th day after my last pill I began to get a crazy shock feeling in my brain which I now have learned the terminology of "brain zaps" This scared me so badly! I had no idea what was going on and I did not once associate what was happening as being a withdrawal sympton from the Zoloft. I went online and googled 'brain shocks' and came across quite a few healthforums where people were describing the exact same thing I was going through. (Explaining the best they could that is) I tried to explain what was going on to my fiance and he had no idea how to understand what I was saying. I explained it as when you get really scared and that quick panic feeling that comes over you - it feels like that only instead of in my chest it is in my brain. I called my doctor this past Tuesday and scheduled an appt for the next day. (This was yesterday - about a week and a half of being off the Zoloft) I told her what was happening and to my surprise she said that she had gone through the exact same thing. She had taken Effexor for post-partum depression a few years ago and the withdrawal symptoms for Effexor are the same as those for Zoloft. She new exactly what I was talking about when I said 'brain zaps' I asked her how long the symptoms lasted for her and she told me about 2 weeks. She prescribed me a very small dosage of Xanax to basically calm my brain down when the 'zaps' got too much to handle. I had horrible frequent zaps the night I got home. The next morning I woke up and didn't have any at all. (I had been having at least one zap every 15 minutes for the past week and a half) That day I had my first zap about 3 hours after I had been awake and only had a very few more throughout the day. I have not picked up the Xanax yet so the symptoms have subsided without any medication. For those of you who have said your doctor thought you were making up the brain zaps - have them get online and do their research and they will find it out there and become educated for the future. Everyone is different. Everyone will have these symptoms subside in their own amount of time. Be patient. The day will come for you when you will not have these horrible withdrawal symptoms anymore. I pray for you all. From now on I will make sure and do extensive research before taking any prescription medication. I urge you to do the same!! I hope this post was helpful/comforting for those of you suffering from what I did. I know that I wanted answers fast!

I've been on Zoloft for about 2 and a half years. My psych is retiring and took me off my medication because I've "been doing so well." I'm weaning off of it, but I'm scared to death. I get depressed for no reason and feel like curling up to cry. Today I was chopping cilantro and felt the world would end. I don't want to rely on a pill (despite that my therapist insists it's like a dibetic taking insulin), but I don't want to spend my life depressed.
My chest also hurts and I'm short of breath. It could be completely unrelated, but still... :-(