Zoloft Withdrawl Is Hell!! I'm about SICK TO DEATH of hearing how great all this medication is. It has taken me 3 ATTEMPTS & almost 6 months to withdrawal ON MY OWN, by the way; from zoloft.

What is someone sopose to do when a doctor REFUSES to help them WITHDRAWAL from a drug?? >;) It's not the doctor who goes through the side effects day in & day out. So, how can they have the slightest clue??? Reading those books just doesn't give them REALITY!! We should shove the DRUGS down them, then MAYBE they'd get it?

I am very glad that NOW, the internet exists. As the ONLY support that I have gotten to detox from zoloft has been a support group on the internet.

It is really SAD that there aren't enough doctors supporting medication moderation!! There are special circumstances where medication is needed, but it IS NOT needed as the NORM!!!

I have found that without the medication, I don't have all the PHYSICAL issues that I once had while on tons of medication. And the one physical issue that I have at this time, is being handled very simply by doing nothing more than eating differently. Just like all the anxiety I once had, I handle simply by drinking herbal tea, drawing, listening to soothing music, or a nice hot bath.

The very sad part is that the anti-depressants I was put on years ago, took MY LIFE!! They took away who I was & where I was going. And I was lost in A HAZE for years, never really knowing what was wrong until I got off all that c**p!!!

And here I am, almost 40 years old; starting from square 1. But at least I know where I am going, and when I get there; I also know that I will be fulfilled!! Fulfilled, something I couldn't possibly be when drugged!!!! >:(

I have been on 200 mil. of zoloft for 6 years. I am 30+ lbs heavier. When the doc put me on it she said I'd probably gain about 10 10 or 20 lbs. I told her not to worry..I was very underweight from anxiety. I did love the way it brought me back. But why cant I get any doc. (shrink) to help me
withdrawal?
No one thinks I need to stop. After a long while doesn't it just sort of stop working anyway? I want to feel more alive and definately back to a size that I'm happy with.
So, if anyone knows, if I do a self detox over the next month or so, how long will it take for my body to start readjusting and start losing weight?
I know I was on a large dose (PTSD) but I've been in therapy for 12 years. I think I can do this just fine. What's up w/docs anyway?
Thanks for any advice or help.
lost case

I was on zoloft for just over a year. Only 50mg/day but I just stopped taking it a week and a half ago, and felt like I was dying!!! The dizziness was too much. I finally found a Dr. that recommended taking 300mg of St. John's Wort 3 times a day. I have only been doing that for two days now and am feeling remarkably better. I also find that having a half cup of coffee with the intense brain fog seems to help. I too gained 30 lbs. This is a nasty, nasty drug!!! Hopefully being off of it now, the weight will start to come off as well. I can't believe how much better I am feeling. Good luck to you!

I took Zolfot for 6 month starting May 2009. I guess I did a big mistake coz I didn’t really needed. I was suffering from anxiety and low level of depression.
I needed to finish my exams which I was delaying for 2 years because of the way I felt about life. I felt sad for years and years from my life and I was thinking a lot about the past. I felt lonely then my doctor wrote this medicine and he confirmed that there is no side effects while taking it or after stopping it!!!
Big lie
This was the biggest mistake of my life.
I noticed a lot of pain in my stomach and headeack, dizziness and I thought am just tired and I didn’t know its because of this crazy pill.
I was taking 50mg then for one week I reduced it to 25mg, I felt a herbal pain in my head!
I felt like nothing worth living anymore and I felt so sad, depressed----you name it.
I stopped taking the pill today its 7 days completed.
The pain in my head is killing me and my mode is going up and down in seconds.
I don’t feel my self anymore, I cant focus and study!
I want to sleep all the time, I feel I don’t have any interest in life. I feel angry on everyone even my self. Its really bad I have to control my self.
I regret the day I took this pill and no mater what happens I will not take another pill!
That’s it I will get off it for ever.
I can work out my emotional problems my self.
we need to control our life and not let a pill control it.

I had all these symptoms and I was just think does it worth all the pain!!!!!!
Decreased sexual desire or ability; breast tenderness or enlargement; fast or irregular heartbeat; fast talking and excited feelings or actions that are out of control; fever; inability to sit still; low blood sodium (confusion, convulsions [seizures], drowsiness, dryness of mouth, increased thirst, lack of energy); restlessness; serotonin syndrome (diarrhea, fever, increased sweating, mood or behavior changes, overactive reflexes, racing heartbeat, restlessness, shivering or shaking);

My Dr. prescribed me Zoloft. I am doing research about Zoloft before taking it as prescribed.

Did zoloft actually make you have a better life, happier, etc?
Why did you decide to quit taking zoloft?
Would you recommend others to take Zoloft?

Your answer is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

OMG!!! I cant believe I am really going through withdrawl. I feel sooo f****n sick, I doo feel like taking other drugs too stop this!! I m a pot smoker n thats not even helping with my nausea. I am 22 soon to be 23 and ive been on Zoloft 100mg for almost 2 1/2yrs. At firts yeah it started working...it stopped my excessive sweating, but after a while it didnt do sh*t. The reason why I had to stop was because I didnt want to go back to therapy. I was only seeing the shrink cuz i couldnt take my anxiety and the excess sweating. Plus, once I'm cut off from my insurance Im not going to have money to buy my pills every month. Therefore, I stopped and now its been almost 2weeks and I feel worse than having morning sickness. I feel disoriented, I cant even drive cuz everything goes pitch black every couple seconds. I feel like I cant move too fast or I will throw up! I bet this feeling is worse then getting off meth, crack or whatever else is out there. At first I thought I had the flu and then I thought I was pregnant because of the stiffness of my breast. I feel good one minute n the next Im curled up like the fetal position. Ugg... pls ppl do not take ZOLOFT!! n if u doo stick with it for life because withrawl is a b***h and I dooo and for ever feel sry for those who will go threw withdrawl. Good luck too those who are trying too be drug free!!! Now im going with just herbal everything lol

i am on my 3rd day coming down from 100 mgs. to 50 mgs. i still have the dizziness and tingling in my lips and such when i move fast but it is deff. worth it, its going well i have my sexual drive back and if it takes a while oh well i don't need it anymore did you know anxiety and depression can go into remission like cancers?

Hey, just wondering exactly how long it took before the withdrawal went away. I'm on 10 days without 250mg of Zoloft and it's absolutely awful. Did you find anything that helped ease it?

Hi I'm 18 years old I've been on 100mg of zoloft for six months now I'm out of my medication and my doctor can't see me til June 16, I've ran out before for 4 days and it was hell the sudden withdraw, now I have to wait for 10 days! I honestly don't think I could last that long. During the four days without it I couldn't walk without getting dizzy and fatigue. I am also on abilify 5mg which I have more then enough since I only take half a tablet. Does anyone have any advice for how I can last the ten days without zoloft or how I can get more til the 16th? I live in northern Fontana, Ca.

Zoloft withdrawal is horrible....make sure you lose the weight that the SSRI has most likely caused you to gain.  Get in your normal BMI range.  If you don't know about BMI google it and/or visit ohm27.blogspot.com

Did you stop cold turkey or wean yourself off??

I was an aerobic's instructor and personal trainer for many years.  I got injured and started getting depressed.  I was started on Paxil.  Gained over 30 pounds.  Doctor switched me to Zoloft.  I've been on 200mg for almost 7 years.  I decided to quit this drug and get my passion back for fitness, among other things.  I'm about two weeks free of the drug.  I feel awful.  Flu like symptoms.  Aches, pains, chills, sweats, tingling, mood swings, nausea, electric zaps and more.  I saw the doctor yesterday because I feel I want to jump out of my skin.  She didn't have much to say.  It's the hardest thing I've ever had to go through.  I feel like a junkie.  Horrible.  I'll going to take the girl's advise on taking Saint John's Wort, 3 times daily.  I'm just afraid that'll have long term effects, as well.  I'm sorry you all are feeling the same.  Unless you've been through it, you have no clue how badly you feel.  Stay tough all.  It has to get better!      

Hi, I just signed on to this group, after I realized that the "flu" I thought I was experiencing last week, was in fact a severe withdrawal from the Zoloft that I have been taking for nearly 20 years! 

I feel duped, angry, sad, stupid......... 

Now that I'm over those emotions, I am going to concentrate on getting my "physical" and "emotional" self back on track. 

I too realize that I was in a haze and was not aware of it. 

I do believe there have been periods of time in my life that certain medications have helped me through some rough spots, but the perpetuated use was not necessary!  I belong to another support group and with the use of the strategies (tools) I have been given, age (yes, wiser), I am in the position to make the next decade or so ( I'm 57 ) the best it's ever been!

In the last 5 years or so, I have adopted a healther lifesytle, organic when possible, exercise, hobbies that feed my soul!  There was something missing and I know what that is now.  I can't change the past, but I can move foward today, and not repeat the mistakes of my past.  Good luck and I'm looking foward to the next chapter, exciting!  It's week 2, I am still experiencing vertigo, nausea, stomach upset.  Each day seems to get a bit better.  "Love and Light" Jo

Hi, I just posted recently on my delibitating withdrawal from Zoloft. I see your post is from 6 mos. ago, how are you doing? I was on 200mg for many years as well. The symptoms you describe are exactly the ones I experienced. It is going on week 2, vertigo and stomach upset are my primary complaints at the moment. I'm working with a holistic dr. to help me adjust. Hope your're doing well! Jo

Well, my story is a little different. I went to a therapist at the request of my mom so I agreed at age 16. She was a good one. I stopped therapy within 3 months. My therapist and me agreed that I was good enough to stop therapy. Of course a therapist does not prescribe medications. Fast forward to my adult years . . .My GP (in 2003/2004) prescribed Zoloft to me since I was crying in the doctors office (I was 28 at the time) and I was crying on the shoulder of the student doctor! They said I had anxiety (which I knew) and some depression (which I knew). I was diagnosed at age 16 with major depression and age 28 with GAD. I gained weight on Zoloft too in 2004. I think I went from 150 to 170 in one year. I think my weight gain was three fold. The Zoloft, my step dad died in 2004 and I was in a deep fog and then intense anger and on top of all this, I was not as active in late 2004. I had a exercise buddy and by late 2004, that buddy had moved. It's much easier to exercise when you got someone with you.  

I stayed on the Zoloft from age 28 to age 35. I stopped the Zoloft around Jan 2011. But I stopped in on my own without any support.  I should not have stopped it without support. I was FINE for the first  6 months after stopping it from Jan - June 2011. I was not aware of any side effects from stopping. Then in Aug 2011 my depression was great. But I also started therapy again in June 2011, so I think this is why great sadness came at this time. I was dealing with so many emotions and I was opening up to my therapist. I had pushed my emotions away for so long. So no wonder I had great pain in Aug 2011.

I told my psychatrist (that I got in 2008) that I had stopped my Zoloft. My psychartrist didn't know I had stopped it in Jan 2011. I had told her in Aug that I wanted to get back on it. I did that. But I also continued my therapy and I learned from my humanistic therapist that everything I need to heal is within myself.  I was able to get through school and earn my graduate degree in aug 2011.  I mean I WAS not on ANY anti-depressant from age 0-28. I was FINE in my 20s. If I did it for 28 years, I know I can do it now without any drugs. Sure I had great anxiety (GAD) while going to work, but once I got to work, I was fine. I was a worry wort.

Well, fast forward to Dec 2011. I made the decision to stop the Zoloft and told myself that I did it drug free for 28 years and 10 of those years I was an adult. I told my psychatrist immediately when I stopped. Ha, that was kinda funny cuz she said, "You are refusing treatment". I said "Please define treatment! I'm in therapy and I see my therapist weekly. I  have seen her since June 2011. I see you once every 6 weeks and I have opened myself up to my therapist for 1 hour. I see you for 30 minutes! I'm doing a LOT of work on myself, I don't see that as refusing treatment."  Well my psychatrist didn't like hearing that! 

And this is what I remember of any withdrawl symptoms: headaches for a few days after stopping. After about 6 weeks off of it, I'm now noticing some irritability, BUT I am also just about to start my period and I KNOW that I GET irritable around this time of the month. It is nothing new for me to get irritable 3-7 days before my period. 

I was in great emotional pain (a lot of crying) in early Jan (again) due to the work with my therapist. I have been doing a LOT of inner child work that I have learned about through reading about it. I actually FEEL BETTER and LESS DEPRESSED since STOPPING my Zoloft! Imagine that!  It may be due to also working on everything with my therapist, but I haven't felt this good in a long long time. I'm learning to love myself much more and what's more important to me is that I'm learning how to feel my feelings (all of them). It is not normal to be "happy" all the time and when I do get depressed, I talk to my depression and I listen to it and - it tell me what I need "Go to bed early tonight" "Take a hot bath" "Read your book" etc. All that is self love. No pill can do that!  Selflove and self-compassion will cure depression if you learn to love yourself like you love your friends, etc. Don't beat yourself up anymore. That is not love!

I wouldn't recommend stopping your medication unless you have some kind of support from a therapist or a very close friend that will help you through any withdrawl symptoms you may get. Also learn to develop your coping skills! I also developed my coping skills. I have many. I do not have much anxiety like I did in my late 20s/early 30s. I may when I start working again. (Hm, I see a pattern, outta work for 5 years, no wonder I'm depressed!) My only regret is that I didn't start therapy when I was working back in the early 2000s . , but I was told from someone else that "I'm ready for growth now" . And that is my experience.