What can I take to help with withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft? I tapered off the medication as per my doctor. I have been on 50 mg. of Zoloft for 10 years. Is there something that will help ease the zapping, tiredness and abdomonial discomfort - perhaps vitamins or something that is natural.

My Dr. prescribed me Zoloft. I havent taken it yet as I am doing research about Zoloft before taking it as prescribed.
Did zoloft actually make you have a better life, happier, etc?
Why did you deiced to quit taking zoloft?
Would you recommend others to take Zoloft?

Best regards,
Benn

I experienced severe anxiety which is what led me to take Zoloft. I took a maximum dose of 50MG. The first 2 weeks or so were difficult, but I immediately stopped having panic attacks. After adjusting to the drug, it has greatly improved my life. The last few years I have slept much better. I think overall it has slightly decreased (not eliminated) my sex drive. Having been on the same dosage for the past 5 years now, I have no side effects, where before taking it, I experienced dizziness, irritability, insomnia, panic attacks, and fear or dying.

I would like to get off the drug, however. I have been reducing my dosage by taking 1 dose every 36 hours instead of daily for about a month. Then I plan to go to one dose every 48 hours. My doctor suggested this skipping strategy. So far no side effects. If I need to continue taking the drug, I will, as I feel the benefit is worth it.

I think too many people, who do not actually need it, take it, as evidenced from these posts. I only started taking the drug because I was getting bad panic attacks that led me to think I was having a heart attack (went to the ER) and being unable to go to work. If you feel a little depressed or anxious, well then that is just life. When you can no longer function, that is a problem, and only then should you go on medication.

I have been taking either zoloft or sertraline, 50mg, for the past 4 years. I recently changed jobs and am left without health insurance. I have wanted to stop taking zoloft to see if I feel okay without it and thought this would be an ideal time, seeing as I am a teacher and only work a part-time job in the summer. I did everything you are supposed to do to successfully ween myself off, and still, when I got down to not taking it at all, (my last step was 25mg every 4 days for almost a month) I could barely function. I was getting motion sickness just walking 20 feet. My head felt like my brain had to catch up with my vision when I turned my head, so I couldnt even drive. Even sitting still I wanted to squeeze my head at the temples because pressure or sleep were the only things that seemed to help at all. I tried benadryl as someone suggested-did not help. I tried dramamine-did not help. Then my mother-in-law is in town visiting and had, months ago, bought each member of the family an herbal supplement that she had been taking to give her more energy. she suffered from polio as a child and needs all the extra boost she can get now. I never took it because I didn't know much about it, but she described it as a cell cleanser and at that point I was so desperate, I was about to go back on the zoloft to get relief. I took 2 tablets the first day, and by the following morning I felt almost normal again.

When I was in such misery from the withdrawal symptoms, I got comfort from reading these blogs, if only to know that I was not the only one out there suffereing. Now, I would like to share with you what I am taking to function normally. I think this stuff might be expensive and I did some research, the two main ingredients are calcium d-glucarate and lactobacillus fermentum. I am not one to take unknow drugs, other than ibprofen and such but at this point, as long as it's "natural" and it relieves my symptoms, I will take it. I also have not stopped taking the orenda immune, and don't know if my zoloft symptoms will return if I do, but honestly, I don't care right now.

So, here is the information on this stuff if anyone is interested and they do have a website, ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed...Orenda Immune contains a proprietary blend 500 mg of calcium d-glutarate, (Calcium D-glucarate (C-D-G) is a nontoxic patented form of glucaric acid that is easily absorbed, active in small doses and bioavailable in the body for relatively extended periods. Glucaric acid is present in different fruits and vegetables and is made in very small amounts by our own bodies. lactobacillus fermentum extract (Lactobacillus fermentum is a Gram-positive species of bacterium in the genus Lactobacillus. It is associated with active dental caries lesions.[1] It is also commonly found in fermenting animal and plant material.[2] It has been found in sourdough.[3] A few strains are considered probiotic or "friendly" bacteria in animals [4] and at least one strain has been applied to treat urogenital infections in women).

Again, I cannot vouch for this company or its product, all I am saying is that it has helped relieve my zoloft-withdrawal symptoms. And if I can help anyone else feel better, I thought it was worth a post. Good luck to everyone experiencing this...it is really terrible. And I was also going to try acupuncture...which has helped me with other things in the past.

So where do you get this stuff (Orenda Immune ) ? I have been lowering my dose over the last 5 months .25 every 4 weeks. I'm off now and dizziness is incredible. I can not move my eyes without feeling it. On top of that I have tinitus in both ears and it has never been this bad. I'm hoping to tough it outfor a few weeksand it will be over with. If not, I 'd like to try that Orenda Immune.

I've been on two hundred milligrams fit two years bow... Should I take the same mess to help with my withdrawal symptoms or no?? I isn't taper off my mess I abruptly stopped an it's the worst feeling.

I have been taking Zoloft 50mg for over 20 years.  I have wanted to get off of it for quite some time.  I have tried stopping a couple of times abruptly and let me tell you...I felt AWFUL.  I had to get back on it to stop feeling so awful.  This time I weened myself off under my doctors advisement.  I have been completely off Zoloft for about 2 weeks now.  I don't feel as awful as I did when I stopped abruptly but I do feel bad.  My head feels like it is 2 steps behind my actions and feels very floaty.  I feel extremely tired all the time.  I have a hard time sleeping at night but when I do I have the most bizzare dreams...nothing violent just wierd.  I have absolutely no energy.  I feel like I have the flu.  I have never been a crier but I feel like crying over the smallest of things.  I have bad stomach irriatation and reflux.  I don't know how long these symptoms are suppose to last but I pray they end real soon.

Thanks to all for helping me not to feel so alone! I am 46 and was on 100 mg Zoloft for 6 years. Over the last few months, friends and family started noticing things that were concerning: my short term memory loss, shaking (like Parkinsons), shortness of breath, crankiness, paranoia, bouts of depression--all while continuing with my Zoloft. (The 40 lbs I've put on while on Zoloft hasn't exactly helped my self esteem.) I start looking for natural supplements/vitamins to help with these--in particular Ginko Biloba for the memory loss. Little did I know that taking this with Zoloft can induce Serotonin Syndrome. Although my Zoloft side affects started prior to taking the Ginko for about a month, I decided to stop taking both. Tapered down on the Zoloft from 100 mg to 0 over a period of 6 weeks.

Everyone noticed a great improvement as I tapered down on the Zoloft. I've been completely off for about 2 weeks, but I've been having bouts of anxiety, nausea, fatigue, stomach and back pain, and have been VERY tearful. I'm hoping and praying that this is all part of the transition and withdrawal.

Someone please tell me this soon will pass!

You seem to be the only person who has taken this fowl drug for as long as me. I've taken either 50 mg to 100 mg for fifteen years and only stopped about two months ago. Yes, the withdrawal is HORRIBLE and I only pray that these various symtons will stop soon. By circumstance, I quit taking Zoloft/Sertraline, cold turkey. After all this nonsense, I'll NEVER, repeat NEVER go back on this hideous concoction. Now, how to beat the withdrawal. When anyone discovers a cure, PLEASE let me know, via email or post to this site. I'm becoming desparate..

My husband forgot to reorder the zoloft 100 mg for me. I feel awful. I've been nervous, sleepless, anxious, flash pot angry and having stomach pains off and on all day. (diarrea too). With all these withdraw symptoms I am now trying to determine whether or not I really want to go back on it when it comes in (we have to order via mail order). Especially since I've been on Zoloft since my first son was born in 1998 and have felt for the past two years that it is no longer working for me.

Hello all...

However horrible all our withdrawals are and have been, I have taken great comfort in hearing other peoples stories. I am at the moment a complete mess. I have suffered with depression on and off for years. I have three children who are 8, 6 and 6 months. I suffered severe postnatal depression after all pregnancies. After this pregnancy the doctors prescribed me fluoxetine, this made me far too sleepy, so they changed it to citalopram, this lifted my mood however my sex drive was non existent, so then the dr prescribed sertraline (zoloft)...have been taking this for a few weeks, started on 100mg, then went to 200mg after 2 weeks as my mood was still very low and constantly crying, the 200mg exaggerated the side effects and I constantly twitched, felt sick, dizzy, and was still very low. The dr then advised me to cut down to 50mg, which I couldnt believe this made me unbearable and I was suicidal, They then decided after 2 weeks to put me onto 100mg again, and said i would prob need the 200mg eventually for the mood.

By this time I had enough of all the side effects as well as my mood being horrendous. The dr then advised I stop taking them.

It has been 9 days since I last had any. The withdrawal is awful and I do feel suicidal, I no longer wish to continue. I am no good to my children or my husband like this. I am shaking, sweating, crying constantly, wanting to hold something over my face. My heart is palpatating, and I generally feel so low that I cannot carry on. The dr prescribed me diazepam to try and slow down my heart, but this has no effect. I feel totally useless and would do anything to feel better, not even bothered about being really happy, just feeling ok would do me well.

Please someone give me some advice how to get on :( 

Got to hang on, it does get better. Sounds like too much to soon going up and down. You were yo-yoing. You have to gradually increase and decrease over weeks. Can take a few weeks after taking before depression lifts. I take only 6.25 mg, yep more drives me nutty hyper. Took for every for pdoc to figure out I am very sensitive to ssri

I'm amazed at how low of doses people are/were taking of Zoloft (50 - 100mg). Or, perhaps I should say I'm amazed at how high of a dose I was taking. My doctor had me on 300mg. Over the past several months I've been weaning myself and I'm now on my 4th day of not taking Zoloft after having taken it for the past 12 years. 

I had mild withdraw symptoms along the way, but now that I'm completely off of it the symptoms are terrible; mainly the dizziness and inability to concentrate, and surge in sex drive (my poor wife). I have had at least one bout of anxiety and I'm super-moody as my wife and kids will attest to. Right now I'm trying to find non-medicinal ways to deal with the anxiety, so any advice there would be appreciated. 

Hello ZhanOrange, Is it possible that your wife is happy that you're alive now and able to show her that you love her immensely? After taking Zoloft for 6 years, I too have weaned myself off. The reactions from my body are difficult but tolerable. I tend to walk like I've had a little bit too much to drink. That is embarrassing but so are a lot of things humans do. I too am irritable, moody, and having difficulty with vision and hearing. However, with that said, "feeling emotions" are enjoyable again. Anti-depressants keep the person from feeling the highs and lows of emotions. Emotions are regulated or equalized. What physicians fail to tell their patients is that antidepressants should only be taken for six months. DURING that time, a person needs to be going to a therapist and doing talk therapy, learning what their triggers are and how to cope with them, communicate better, and what to do for their anxiety issues. Patients are not to STAY on them. Physicians are ruled by the pharmaceutical industry. I used to work for an orthopedic physician. He received vacations and all types of perks from big pharma. The more of a particular drug he prescribed, the bigger the perks. There are no withdrawals from talk therapy. Best thing for you to do is walk at least 20 minutes a day. Make sure you get at least that much sunshine also. Studies have demonstrated a positive effect on people by doing this. Also, go see a therapist. CBT or humanistic therapy is best for depression and anxiety. Also, St. Johns Wart and 5HTP taken together also help people with depression and anxiety. Do you have a local naturalpath? See them for good help with natural treatment. Most important is seeing a therapist, not just a counselor, but a psychotherapist. Psychotherapist have a masters in psychology. Anyone can call themselves a counselor and no nothing. Hang in there. We can get through this. Better days are just around the corner!

I am so glad I found this site.  I thought I had the flu and couldn't shake it.  I have been on Zoloft for several years now and it has really helped me.  I had severe claustrophobia - I would walk up 15 flights of stairs rather than getting into an elevator, anxiety attacks when driving, fear of dying.  The Zoloft really helped all of these issues, I don't even think twice about getting into an elevator now.  Why I am writing is that I lost my health insurance so I couldn't afford to take all of the drugs I was prescribed - I have arthritis, acid reflux and high cholesterol.  I figured that I wouldn't get my cholesterol medicine refilled and try to eat better - that was about 6 weeks ago.  My cholesterol medicine is Zocor.  Unfortunately, I mixed them up, and didn't get my Zoloft refilled.  After a few days of not taking my Zoloft, I started have many of symptoms you all have described:  ringing in my ears, very tired, insomnia, nausea.  I figured I had the flu since it was going around my area.  Since I don't have health insurance, I was trying to tough it out with over the counter medications, none of which were working.  Then, I became very emotional, crying at the drop of a hat - at Facebook posts, TV shows, all kinds of things.  Funny, because of that, I thought I might need to get my dosage increased, so I went on line to see if anyone else had this problem.  I couldn't believe it when I realized I had stopped the wrong medicine - the good news is I guess my cholesterol is fine.  So I came to this site and discovered that all of my symptoms that I was blaming on the flu were the same you all were describing from withdrawal.  Zoloft works wonderfully for me - I am going to get my prescription filled tomorrow.  From my experience, though, it has been 6 weeks and my withdrawal has not lessened at all.  I hope you all find the solutions you are looking for and feel better.  As a side note to ZhanOrange and Done with Sertraline - I have my sex drive back.  That probably should have clued me in earlier.  Sucks to find out what I always suspected, the drug does affect my sex drive.  Makes me feel better, though, to know the reason - now I know my disinterest wasn't due to my age.  I can work on that issue with my boyfriend and continue to go in elevators.  Climbing up all those stairs was killing me.  Take care and thanks again for sharing - you all really helped me a lot.