Hi guys,

I just want to ask in case you can help me. I just stopped Zoloft one week ago (cold turdey), I was fine the first days. Bu since 4 days ago I have a horrible lightheadness and dizzyness ALL the time. I have a cold also, however my Dr. told me she does not think it is because to Zoloft ( I was taking 50mg) but maybe because the allergies which I have never had suffer.

What do you guys think? I really appreciate your help

I also have recently stopped taking Zoloft and am having the same lightheadedness and dizzyness, also the cold you mentioned. I just need to know how long this will last. I feel like a crazy person.

Dizziness and being light headed are withdrawal symptoms of Zoloft. It can also cause numbness in your extremities, headaches, muscle cramps, mood swings that could last up to a couple of months. Its better to ween yourself off rather than quit cold turkey.

a week ago i decided to quit zoloft cold turkey. Basically I have been on 50mg for several years now. I can relate to the dizziness. Sometimes I get so tired I think i'll just fall asleep right there! Dont be concerned though, its not that bad for the most part and the symptoms come and go. Mostly tired and difficulty concentrating, muscles cramps and a little disoriented at times, oh and irritable as well as increased appetite! Now the moodiness could also be from the fact i am tring to quit smoking ha... But all in all it is not as scary as I thought it would be. They come and go occassionally. Small sacrifice to make if they go away soon. No electric shocks, no panic attacks(which is the reason i started taking it) and no depression. Actually, I feel motivated again! I've been busy with projects and getting a lot accomplished for the most part. Just hanging in there and staying positive that I made the right choice and keeping a postive attitude that these side effects will soon pass. Looking forward to being totally clean. I'll keep you posted if it shifts or worsens. Just wanted those who are quitting to know that my personal experience is good.

p.s. did it without a physician, i no longer have insurance so i am winging this one alone.

I also have had trouble with my insurance company re: getting my meds. This is just the latest chapter in a serial novel. I've now been given the run around for a month. I've been off Zoloft for five weeks now. I came to this site to see if my symptoms were just *me*. The symptoms I've been having are vertigo, dizziness, hot flashes accompanied by chills, blurred vision, weight gain, concentration problems, joint pain, and a feeling in my left temple as if a space alien were probing me with his long index finger. I have taken Zoloft for five years, and it helped very much for years. But I'm tired of being dependent on doctors and insurance companies who don't give a ****. My withdrawal symptoms still continue, but it encourages me that some people take months to get back to "normal". I guess I'm just one of the long-term examples. Meanwhile, I feel strong that I've been able to continue with my very stressful job without having some sort of embarrassing episode. :-) Another thing that encourages me is that the social anxiety disorder and bad hand tremors I was suffering from before have not (yet?) returned with the vengeance I previous experienced. Hang in there everybody.

Diagnosed 2 years ago as Clinically Depressed, thought it was the end of the world
Started having anxiety problems that were never before experienced in my personal life, so went to doc, got zoloft took 50mg for 2 years and now i quit cold(its been a week and a half)

I have disorientation, if i stare at something and move my eyes it takes a second to "see" it. that's all and its not really a problem at all :-)

the good thing is when this is all over i am NEVER going on another prescribed drug again that has to deal with MY brain. its too complex and they have no idea what it does, or what it can do(see any zoloft commercials lately? 2007)

I just wanted to le you all know that I have just quit my Zoloft cold turkey 100 mg for about 5 years now. I can relate to the dizziness, light headedness, vertigo and disorientation. It has been a week and a half and as a few other bloggers here, my symptoms come and go through out the day. This is the most horrible feeling in the world. I have hope that it will all end soon; generally the first 2 weeks are the worst, so I am hoping after next week I will feel a lot better.
I was on the med because of PMS only to find out it was my thyroid causing the problems, hypothyroidism. I am now on Thyrolar and feel great, but the soloft was interacting. The zoloft was also making my hair fall out HORRIBLY! so I decided to quit cold turkey.
For those that are on this med, maybe have your thyroid levels checked, all these years i was mis-diagnosed. it couldn't hurt to check.
I think that there should be a class action law suit filed against the drug company that made this medication.
>:(
Good Luck to all and hang in there! ;-)

I also quit cold turkey. I have also stopped taking my seroquel. I am having horrible vertigo and dizzyness. I feel like im constantly about to fall over. My skin is VERY itchy!!! And I have been having hot flashes followed by chills and night sweats. I wake up and feel clammy and cold so I cover up and within a minute I am tossing the blankets on the floor. I have not told my psychiatrist that I quit taking it and I have an appt. coming up.... should i just cancel it? Also, has anyone else experienced weird tingly, kinda numbing feeling in their hands? Also on my lip occasionaly. Very strange.

Hi everyone. I've been on Zoloft 50 mg. for 2 years now. I just quit cold turkey and I am having a little dizziness and some jitteriness, but mostly I'm having stomach cramps and nausea. No, I'm not pregnant, but I've read that these are some Zoloft withdrawal symptoms. I've been thinking about getting another prescription, and taking small doses to slowly taper off, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I have one refill left, but I don't want to make the symptoms any worse. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, did it work better and alleviate the symptoms. I'm tired of being dependent on anti-depressants. I'm tired of being afraid to quit for fear I'll have more anxiety attacks. Any help and advice is appreciated. I wish all well on their endeavors to quit. At least I know I'm not alone. Thanks.

Quitting cold turkey is never a good idea, especially where brain chemistry is involved... but if you're already a week in, you might as well keep going and stay off it. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a month for the medication to completely wash out from your system, but the worst of the withdrawal symptoms should be over soon. Taking Zoloft sporadically will not give you any positive effects, only the placebo effect....

The "nerve shocks" (jolts felt in the hands and head), numbness, dizziness, nausea, hot/cold flashes, disoriented feelings- these are all from the serotonin levels in your brain dropping. When you stop sertraline (Zoloft) cold turkey, you are cutting off that supply of extra serotonin you were supplying your brain.

50 mg is not a high dose of Zoloft, but stepping down the dosage is still recommended. Generally the doctor will give you a step down schedule (similar to the "step-up" dosage pack you may have received when you were originally prescribed the medicine). Half a dose for a week, then alternate that every day or every three days, lowering you until you are completely off. It takes time for a reason, but if you already quit cold-turkey you're almost there.

To help alleviate some of the symptoms, eat protein and DHA/Omega-rich foods: turkey, fish (wild salmon, mackerel, tuna), chicken, cottage cheese, nuts, cheese, eggs, beans, avocados, flaxseed, vegetable oils (walnut, avocado, almond, flax, olive) and seeds.

Take an herbal supplement of Rhodiola (it does not interact with other medications like SJW can)

AVOID caffeine, sugar, and alcohol. Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck!

I am having a horrible time weaning off Zoloft. I started with 100 mg and went down to 75 for a month, 50 for a month, now I am on about 38 on my way to 25. I am having the dizziness, terrible joint pain, night sweats, etc. People are telling me I should just stay on it, but I want it out of my system. I went this far and don't want to stop now. There has to be a better way to get seratonin level in your system!

Crazy dizziness, needed to lay down after I came home from the office. I'm on the second time of quiting zoloft, first was cold turket, second time around I weened myself off over a couple months. Doctor keep telling me to come in for a appointment, no thanks. You suggested this damn drug, I'm sure you'll come up with another way to 'fix' me.

Weight gain??? Unbelievable!!! I ride bikes and run, and put on 20 pounds, this is the heaviest I've ever been. Night sweats, every night, I'm changing t-shirts twice an evening. Headaches, vertico, anxiety.

I have been off for a full week, and the disorientation that I had previously is back and heavy. This time I anticipated it and have prepared for the side effect, talked to my fiance and she is right next to me in support. I think this is one of the worst recommendations that I have recieved from a doctort, "just talk with me when you feel like you want to stop" turned into "you want to stop taking this because you feel good, which is due to the zoloft" what a nice cycle.

I'm back on the bike, back in the shoes, and saying "I know me better than you". I should have hit up one of my riding buddies for a nice bag of organic grass, not this c**p. Made in a lab= legal, made from mother earth= illegal. Be you, feel good about you, do things that make you happy. If you cant find out what that is, then talk to someone who truly cares; not a doctor who is being taken to dinner or golf by a drug rep a couple times a week.

Be ready for the mood swings and realize them for what they are, realize the depression or anxiety for what it is and find a positive way to confront it. Find a supportive friend, not acquitance, a friend; and let them know what is happening. They love you and will be there with you, there is another way that is better than pharm's.

Enuff said

Wow! I'm so glad to read this. I was beginning to be worried there was something really wrong with me. I was on 100mg for 8 months and have tapered off over the past three weeks and didn't notice any symptoms while I was still taking a small dose so I quit. Now I'm having a lot of withdrawal symptoms. I am dizzy and tired and keep having the sensation that I'm moving or turning my head really fast when I'm really not...it's worst when I move my eyes from side to side. It's like my eyes and my inner ear fluid and my muscles are all telling me different messages about how (and if) I'm moving and where I exist in space and time. Everything is slightly off and it's really disorienting. I also keep forgetting things and getting really confused. I just went to get a redbull and it took me like thirty minutes (should have been 7 counting walking to the store) because I kept getting distracted and forgetting why I went to the store. I came off of zoloft because I can't get any work done and have no motivation, but I haven't really done much better off of it because the symptoms are so distracting. Sometimes I'll sit for 10 hours in front of my computer and forget I'm supposed to be working. I missed two meetings this week and I got lost walking in a familiar neighborhood because I couldn't remember where I wanted to go and then couldn't remember the order of the streets. I hate this. It's been six days since I stopped taking it. I thought things were getting better yesterday, but it seems like they're worse today. I really hope this goes away soon. I have things to do and bills to pay.

tita, I'm in a similar boat. I was taking a fairly low dose of Zoloft (50mg), but not everyday like you are supposed to. I really didn't see any point in continuing the meds because I got over the rough patch that I was experiencing and I was taking it maybe 5 out of 7 days and even then, only if i remembered to take it in the morning. 2 days after quitting it cold turkey, I began to experience constant light headedness, the occasional headache (which rarely happens to me), and developed a mild cold, but then again, it is winter where I am right now =). I stopped taking it about 1 1/2 weeks - 2 weeks ago and continue to have these symptoms. From what I've read and learned from talking to others who have had similar experiences, this should only last for about 4-6 weeks; which is what everyone else seems to be saying on this thread... Hope all goes well for you! Respectfully, PW

Hi everyone just thought id share my experience with zoloft. I have withdrawn from 100mg zoloft cold turkey for nearly 2 weeks now and going pretty well :-) I have been on varied dosages for 7 years now and tried to withdraw twice already. It is to treat anxiety. Since coming of them I have noticed positive and negative effects. Firstly I have more drive and energy, I am now exercising more and getting up easier, I feel a bit more excited about things. The first week I had more nausia, jitteriness and increased appetite and a buzzy or stimulated sensation throughout my body, But these have all decreased this week. I have noticed I am more shy and on edge in social settings but at the same time have more energy to talk to people so its good and bad. My experience with withdrawing from zoloft is that it hits you more after a month when your body is completely rid of the effects so I just hope I will get through and cope without it. The last time i went off the drug from 150 mg weaning down by 50mg per month then last month 25mg. But this time I just couldn't be bothered. lol. well ok so far :-) will update you in a month :-P cheers.