Hello everyone! Let me introduce myself, as I am to this forum. I am a man with a wife who suffers from multiple sclerosis. We got the diagnosis last year and are still in shock from it now. At the moment, my wife is still very capable of most things, but we are preparing for the future. I was reading about a new treatment called Avonex. Is anyone here using that, and do you think that Avonex is the best for MS? Please tell me anything you can about this drug.

Hi to you and welcome! Avonex is not a new treatment, at least it has been around for a considerable period of time now. There are a variety of treatment options for MS patients, and Avonex is one of them. Not all drugs will have the best effect on all patients, and I think determining which one is the best for the individual patient is one of the most important things to take care of upon diagnosis. Early treatment of MS with Avonex is generally very effective, and it will slow down progression of symptoms in the majority of people with MS.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, as I am new here as well. I just wanted to comment on the Avonex question that was asked. I have has MS now for 5yrs. So far, I have tried Avonex first then Copaxone and now Tysabri. I can tell you that all treatments work differently for the individual. Your wife may go through a few before she finds a good med, or maybe not, who knows. You will also find that MS affects people differently as well. One thing I did and I cant stress enough is please do your research first. Search each treatment, pros and cons, side effetcs etc.You can never be too informed and it prepares you for whn you go to you neurologist. Don let the Dr make the choice for you, how does the Dr know if it works? Does the Dr have MS? Probably not...they get their info directly from patients.Like I said, each med will work differently. Some meds are once a wk, some everyother day, some every day, and some once a mnth. Needle sizes are also a factor. I think if you do some research, you will feel much better and be much more informed and feel comfortable with your decision. Theres so much info out there about MS and meds etc. I hope all goes well with your decision and good luck. Take care. :-D

I have used Avonex for 6 years now but am one who wholeheartedly believes that any disease is curable if you are willing to devote much time and effort to a lifestyle change. I am hoping to get off my meds in the near future. Please read the book, Healing Multiple Sclerosis-Diet, Detox & Nutritional Makeover for Total Recovery by Ann Boroch.She also has a website. A big message is that food is medicine, organics is a huge piece to becoming and remaining healthy. Yes, it's more costly, but there is no better place that I chose to spend my hard earned money than my health.
God Bless! I know that it's very scary at this point.