I'd like to hear something about MS medications-how they work and what could I expect from them. My 23 year old son is diagnosed with MS recently and it all started with some unusual attack had vision problems and orientation and keeping balance difficulties as well as headaches and joint and muscle pains. He is now prescribed avonex. Do you think it might be of help?

Yes I think avonex might be of help. Actually avonex is one of the most frequent prescribed MS medications along with rebif and copaxone. I suppose your doc have told you everything about taking avonex for his serious side effects, might be manifested in severe form of depression that may lead a person who takes it to think even of attempting suicide. But anyway I am also on avonex frequently and I've learned how to use it- simple follow the steps your doc have told you, don’t get overdosed, take it exact as it was prescribed, don't mix it with alcohol and with some other medications. Also it is important for your son is on avonex – to stop using it constantly meaning every once in a while he needs to get avonex rest. There're some cases of avonex addiction so whenever he stop taking it it's better not to do it in one step so he might first try to decrease his avonex dosage before quitting it and then he might start taking some other prescribed MS medications. I remember the first time I had MS attack I was hospitalized and was on corticosteroids but by the time I've learned how to deal with MS though I am well aware that MS is about to be more progressive by ages. Anyway it is possible for the persons with MS to have normal life-doing exercises is much important here, I swim three times per week and I have also changed my diet, I now only use natural organic products and could bet it helped in reducing my MS symptoms.