Crash is a movie about race and racism and the perceptions of race distinctions. There is a large, talented cast and multiple storylines that weave together to make the movie. If you are familiar at all with the films of Robert Altman (Short Cuts, Gosford Park, Cookie's Fortune) then you'll have an idea about the structure of the movie. It is co-written and directed by the Academy Award winning screenwriter of Million Dollar Baby Paul Haggis. Taking place over the course of a long day, Haggis brings together a variety of characters in Los Angeles. There is a white racist cop and his disapproving rookie partner (Matt Dillon and Ryan Phillipe). There are two young, thoughtful black men (Ludacris and Larenz Tate). There is a latino locksmith who is trying to raise a family (Michael Pena, I think). Sandra Bullock plays the wife of Brendan Fraser (the district attorney), and she is angry and fearful of those of other races. The fear makes partial sense as those two thoughtful young black men also carjacked her and her husband, but this leads her to believe that the locksmith is a gang banger because he has a shaved head and tattoos. There are other characters of other races and backgrounds and the movie deals with the misunderstandings and racial prejudices that arise. There is no simple answer and there is no true villain. Even characters like Matt Dillon's racist cop gets a touch of humanity as he cares for his ailing father and also in an act of heroism. The initially sympathetic characters reveal their own prejudices. Everybody is worse than they appear, but everybody is also better than they appear. It's a very intersting, well made film and is simply excellent. Grade: A

Tense and thought provoking.
The bottom line, not one race can say they are not racist or racism is exclusive to whites.

There is an Iranian family "we are not arabs, we are Persian" who are called rag heads.

There is a "family" chinese male who has a little secret too.

The interactions and connectionss are awesome. Toned down a little * bit this movie would be very appropriate for a race relations class in high school.

We actually sat next to and in front of several black people in the audience, who were mouthing off a little about the cops, but then were strangely quiet at the perceptions of racist blacks. I thought I would have a confrontation but did not. We were actually in a very racially diverse audience.

directing and story were awesome. this movie really worked for me.

* take away some of the open sex scenes, and clean up a little language otherwise fine.

It's somewhat rare that the critics and I can agree on a movie but this is one of those rare cases. In the beginning, I wondered if I wanted to sit through this one, but I was glad that I did. An excellent film about everything not being black or white (gray areas), the life experiences that make us who we are, and misunderstandings.