Thanks for the advice. I'm on day 6 and the symptoms although milder, are unfortunately still there. And I just don't feel like doing a damn thing. Not sure if it's due to the sickness from the pregnancy or the c**p from the withdrawal. Either way I'm beside myself and hate it. I have a doctor's appt in a week and hopefully she'll be able to help me out with something-anything!

I decided to stop torturing myself (vertigo with each drop in dose) and took my first dose of Prozac this morning. I'm trying a reallly low dose (4 mg liquid). They say that you can take 20mg of Prozac, just the one dose, and be able to stop the Effexor, but I am afraid of side effects of the Prozac. I'm down to 15 mg of E twice a day, and had some mild vertigo episodes that responded to crunching just 4 granules! Crazy... I'm loading up with fish oils, and Benadryl anytime I'm going to have a nap or go to bed. Not sure if I should do the Benadryl along with the Prozac...I'll just see how sleepy/wired I am. Ohyeah, and Melatonin 3 mg under the tongue before bed - good sleeps. I'll let you know how it goes.
LKatt

I am on day two of going off of Effexor and it is rough. I started at 112.5mg and went to 75mg for a month then 37.5mg for a month and now I am taking nothing and it is brutal. I have the dizziness and what I describe as mushy porridge brain. I have found that rubbing Tiger Balm on my temples and forehead helps a little. I agree with other people that drinking water is helpful too. I am going to try the Benadryl thing next, I pray that it works. I really thought that by taking this month by month I would have way less withdrawal symptoms but it is just not the case.
I wish everyone in the same position as me all of the best and I hope that we do find some comfort and peace at the end of this all.
P.S. Effexor is the DEVIL! Never again!

[
I'm new to this withdrawal from effexor - feel pretty anxious and nervous all the time. any suggestions

Hi Guest,

I think that going below 37.5 is actually harder than your other dosage drops. I didn't experience any withdrawal until going under 37.5. I've tried for a year to wean off, but kept needing to go back to 37.5. I'm now trying a different approach, and am now leveling out at 22 mg, even with 10 mg of Prozac to ease the withdrawal. Slooooooooooooooooow process.

If you are still feeling lousy, maybe try 1/2 of the 37.5 mg, or however much gets you feeling better, and then taper reallllllly slowly. Try searching "effexor capsule splitting method" and you should find a good forum and suggestions from Mikemo.

Betty White,

What dose were you last on? How are you doing?

I was originally on Paxil, and after spending 2 months crying everyday, I started 150mgs of Effexor Xr and felt great at first. No more tears, period. Not sure if that is a good thing, cuz I didn't have any emotions at all, except for the anger outbursts and occassionally bouts of being flirtatious. At one point I lost my Effexor pills and went almost 60 hours w/out taking any---total hell. There is some footage of me at local ER that I would be completelty embarrased about --crying, vomiting, tremblimg, etc. DO NOT QUIT THIS STUFF COLD TURKEY !!

After reading these posts, I asked my doctor to switch me to 75 mgs and I felt alot better. After a while, I started taking my dosage every other day, and would take it at a later time to start weaning off. I felt better, except for riight after I took it. I then switched to 37.5 mgs for about 10 days, and started the finger taper method for about a month. This is the way to go.

I am now on day 6 of completely being off of this drug, and have the same mild symptoms as others -- energy comes in spurts, muddy thoughts, electric shocks in my feet, and have felt lifeless at times. Things are getting better, but I am still withdrawing. I have been vomiting, although I have taken sips of Emetrol if I felt nausaus. It is availabler off of the shelf and helps nausea.

I have been taking B-12 and fish oil, but couldn't tell you if it helps or not. Luckily, I am self employed and can take naps when I need to help with the blahs. I recomend timing it so day 3-5 falls on a wekend or when you may be off of work. I have not felt down or bluesy, just tired and fed up up with my weight gain. Has anyone noticed significant weight loss after getting off ? I hope so.

LocoBoy

Effexor Withdrawal. I have been on 75, 150 and ultimately 225 mg. I was prescribed because of post traumatic stress disorder related to my wife's continued affair. It helped with the homocidal/suicidal dreams and my general feeling of well being. It started causing mania so under Dr's orders I dropped down to 150 mg. I don't want any chemical dependence so two weeks ago I dropped down to 75 mg daily and last week started taking 75 every other day. This week I stopped taking Effexor. My stomach feels much better but I have the brain shocks and some dizziness. I am also crying more, which is more normal than never crying which was what Effexor caused. I am still able to function and hard labor has been my friend. I will repost if it gets worse but I hope it is getting better.

OMG! First, thanks to all who hve posted here. I am on day 4 Cold Turkey from 150mgs daily for a year. I feel like I am going completely crazy. Had to stay home from work today b/c I am so friggin sick. I am determined to BEAT this and NEVER take this c**p again, but until I found this site I thought I was in sane.
Today the head vaccum and dizzy is HORRIBLE. The upset stomach is starting and my muscles feel like I have been run over by a truck. A VERY LARGE TRUCK. I am waiting for one of my kids to wake up to take me to GNC for Omega 3 ( is that this fish oil stuff)? I have been trying Dramamine for the dizzy but think I will get benedryl too. I am frantic. I need to know that I can beat this thing and will start to be better soon.
Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
In the mean time, please pray and just call me Texas.

o.O %-) It is interesting reading all the messages on effexor. I live in Australia and this drug is the new wonder drug given out by every doctor.
I wonder if the doctors down here have ever heard of the Nasty effects of Effexor that seems to effect so many nice folk whos are trying to withdrawl or discontinue from the hold effexor has.
I am like just typical person like everybody else who needed something to get me over a few lumps and bumps that life throws, but I didnot expect to be put on such a drug as Effexor.I had a severe reaction from day one and stayed in bed for two weeks absalutley paranoid that I was going to end up in a mental hospital.I was driven to despair. Finally my doc said maybe I would be better off without it.So here I am nearly 3 months later with no Effexor for 2 whole days. I guess I am the lucky ones that have had very few withdrawing symptoms, apart from tierdness,crying and nasty attitude I count my self one of the lucky ones.I do feel for any one that has been on Effexor for many years on high doses and doing it tough with discontinuation withdrawl ..No one is right or wrong taking Effexor. I have read that some of the withdrawl symptoms are Nasty to say the least.I take my hat of to you. Hang On!! You are doing amazingly well and you will get through this.My heart goes out to you and prayers.To the ones that stay on this drug remember to hang on to.I just noticed that the same company has a new drug out has anyone one heard of it and is it as nasty as Effexor??

I have been on Effexor for at least 4 years, and just recently switched from Effexor XR to generic Effexor because it would have been a $50 co-pay for me otherwise. At first it went pretty well, but I had to take it 2x daily. Soon afterwards I started forgetting to take it the second time in a day. I first started taking it for adjustment disorder after I graduated college plus moved in with my husband for the first time. It worked great. Now all these years later, my life has been going wonderful, and I asked my doctor about stopping. He said I could, but he never warned me about the side effects :-( I went to buy me some fish oil and benadryl today...

Well - today is day 6. Most of the symptons have gotten better, excpt for the DIZZY feeling. I am taking benadryl for that, but it helps very little. I am determined to beat tis thing. It may cost me my marrige b/c I am and EXTREME B**CH right now. But, he hasn't helped much eithr. Left me alone at home last night (which was by far the worst yet) to go out and get falling down drunk. Not only that, but left me with three kids to feed when I can not even feed myself. Oh well - one poision at a time. :'(

I have been off Effexor (The Beast) for about 4 days now. The zaps seem to be worse now than ever!!!!!! I have not had any kind of other drug to help with this! BUT I will try the fish oil! THANKS!!! I hope this works! I feel like I am sticking my tounge to the end of a battery!!!!!

Like everyone here, I'm glad to have found this forum. I've been on XR for about 9 years, 300mg/day. I had been feeling increasingly bad for awhile, so I decided to get off Effexor. My way of thinking was perhaps it was no longer strong enough. My dosage was already considered high, so increasing it wasn't an option. For the past 7 days I have been taking only 150mg/day.
I have experienced very little of what I've read here. I keep a nagging headache that could be sinus, memory problems, fatique and had 2 days where I felt like I was coming down with something. However, I was feeling those same things before I cut my dosage in half.
My plan is to cut back to 150mg/every other day if I experience no bad side effects between now and next Monday, 10/20. A lot of you seem to agree that the withdrawal is the worst when cutting back to 37.5mg. If I understand that correctly, do you think it's possible to not have problems until cutting to the lowest dosage? Do you think it's possible to experience no problems at all?
Like 'NeedSupport', I don't have a very good support system in my husband. That's why I need to be aware of any symptoms so I can monitor myself. My husband isn't much on letting me know any changes that he sees.
For the record, I also take Adderal 40mg/day for concentration issues, but have only been taking it for about 2 weeks. I had hoped it would be helpful in making the Effexor work better. I also take Zantac, because the Adderal sometimes gives me heartburn, and DHEA, for night sweats from menopause. I also smoke a joint at night to help me sleep and sometimes in the day if I really need to concentrate on something. I have to take Xanax when a joint isn't enough to help me sleep and I also take Xanax when I have panic attacks.
OK, that's my story. I'm depending on feedback from you guys to help me be ready for any problems that might happen.

Loony2ne;
I can not speak for the slow cutback on the meds as I have only done the full Cold Turkey. I can tell you that as bad as I felt for the last 7 days, I feel that much BETTER today!! :-D I finally am starting to feel like a person again and it is nice. The dizziness was the worst for me, but it is better.
I willl share what I have done, in additional to drinking tons of water. This has all helped me, so maybe some, or all will help you!!

I went to GNC and bought their brand - 7 day full body detox program
(it has not been NEAR as bad as I thought it would be)
Got a good Multi-vitamin B complex and Vitamin C
Dramamine for the Dizziness
Fish Oil - get the soft gel capsuls and freeze them. There is no taste associated that way!

As nuts as this sounds, I read it here and it worked:
EPSON SALT AND HYDROGINE PEROXIDE baths
\Hot as you can stand it
Drink lots of water while in the bath
It not only helps some detox through your pores it relaxes the muscles in you body and I found helped me sleep.

Today is full day 7 completely off Effexor XR and I WILL NEVER TAKE IT AGAIN! AS hard as this detoxing from it has been, it could not have been anything good for my system. There were a few days that I felt so bad I was tempted to go back and take it but out of shear will, I viewed it as a poision in my system and just REFUSED to do it.

You can ge tthrough this and I promise, the "other" side looks great from where I am sitting!!

HANG IN THERE and I hope some or any of the above will help.

Hey there,
I am still withdrawing from effexor. I've found I have to do it very slowly. I started opening the pills 75mg. and taking half. Last two weeks, half every moring, then this week, taking 1/4. In the afternoons I sometimes am getting the electrical shocks, so I take about 10-15 of the granules and it goes away.
Man this stuff is nasty. At the beginning of the year I was on 300mg, terribly angry and for the past few months I would vacillate between feeling homical to suidcal. I started praying for a solution to my prolonged depression when a thought came into my head that something was really wrong. effexor is not working anymore
Whew! I am glad I found this web site.

Since I've been weaning off of it, my moods have improved, and I feel hopeful again. the spacey-ness is still there, and it is really hard to concentrate, and sometimes I feel really blah, but I think eventually this will go away. For the first time in years, I feel like myself. What a relief! Praise God.

Hang in there whoever is reading this