Hi. I have experienced some Effexor withdrawal. Can`t stand those brain shivers. Nothing like that, really. Have you ever experienced brain shivers? Please help me. What to do? Does anybody know some Effexor withdrawal tips? How to reduce antidepressant discontinuation symptoms?

Hi. I also had a thing with Effexor withdrawal, and must agree with you. There is absolutely nothing in this world like brain shivers, they can run your whole body, from top to bottom. Brain shiver suck and I`ve heard that you can feel Effexor years later? Don`t know if it`s possible. Anyway, here a two Effexor withdrawal tips just for you! Prozac will relieve your withdrawal symptoms (you will go through a Prozac withdrawal, but that is symptomless, at least that was for me). So, use Prozac, withdrawal symptoms are not so likely with it. Or, you should try Benedryl. However, if you don`t wanna Prozac or Benedryl, keep a regular schedule with your Effexor.

Hi, I was taking Effexor XR 150 mg for about 6-7 years. A little over a month ago I started weaning myself off of it with my doctors approval. I took 112.5mg for 2 weeks, 75mg for 2 weeks, then 37.5 for 2 weeks. I had several side effects each time I stepped down but they were tolerable for the most part. I think my biggest complaint would be the brain shivers and stomach problems. Then finally, the 2nd day after no medication all heck broke loose. I wanted to cry at the drop of a hat, my stomach was and still is upset, and my mood has been horrible. It has been one week medication free and I will snap at anything. I have zero patience and just can not stand it. Anything and everything is making me mad and it seems like everything is going wrong. Im sure there are several other people out there that have had the same problems, anyone have any suggestions???

I have just finished taking effexor and have been dizzy, having brain rushes and I have been very cranky. Tonight I can't stop crying. I'm determined it will go away soon.

I HOPE THAT I WOULD HAVE SOME USEFULL INFO>>>I HAVE COME OFF OF EFFEXOR TWO TIMES BECAUSE OF MONEY ISSUES AND LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS NOT FUN>>>THE ONLY THING I DID WAS WEAN MYSELF OFF I THINK THE FIRST TIME IT TOOK ME ALMOST SIX MONTHS TO COME CLEAN AND AS ANYONE ELSE I WAS MOODY AND EMOTIONAL, BUT WITH WEANING AS I NEEDED THE PHYSICAL WITHDRAWLS WERE NOT SO BAD. EVERYTIME I FELT FUNNY AND I KNEW I WAS WITHDRAWLING I OPENED A CAPESULE AND TOOK MY LIMITED DOSAGE I HAD SET FOR MY SELF. EVENTUALLY YOU CAN GO LONGER AND LONGER WITH OUT IT..SOON ENOUGH YOUR FREE, BUT EFFEXOR HAS WORKED SO WELL FOR ME I KEEP GOING BACK AND NOW I FINALLY HAVE INSURANCE THEN I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNATE. LUCKALLY MY DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WAS SAFE FOR ME AND MY BABY EXPECIALLY SINCE I'M ON A LOW DOSAGE. WELL I HOPE THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE.AND I THINK TAKING THE STRAIGHT EFFEXOR WITHOUT CAPESUL SHELL HELPS...IT SEEMED TO WORK FAST WHEN I WAS WITHDRAWLING.

I've tried to get off Effexor 150mg a few times over the past 7 years. I get dizzy as a bat and have those electrical shock feelings going through me and I always give up. I decided I absolutely have to get off this stuff last week as I have realized for about a year now that even while taking the stuff I have withdrawal side effects such as that weird dizzyness feeling whenever I move my head quickly. I was surfing the web the other night and was reading about the rare side effects of Effexor such as chest pain, gout, hypothyroidism and IBS! It just so happens I have developed all of these one by one since I've been on this crazy drug. I'm a 45 year old woman gout is very rare in women my age. In the beginning it was a God send as I was a single mom and really depressed. I immediately gained lots of weight but I was willing to accept this as I was no longer depressed. But GOUT! For heaven sakes I can hardly walk. Anyway, I quit cold turkey yesterday. I'm dizzy as a bat but am feelilng amazingly upbeat. I can handle the dizzyness I've been through chemo so not much can nauseate me anymore but I hope it doesn't last 6 months. If I start that non stop bawling again as I did other times I tried to quit I'll probably start breaking open capsules. Do the withdrawal creepies ever go away?

Hello..I have just stopped taking Effexor,the lowest dose mind you, and i had extremely bad "brain shivers". My doctor said nothing to me about the addictiveness of effexor, and i didnt realize it till i looked it up myself. Even before i stopped cold turkey i would feel sick to my stomach if i didnt take my second dose in time, but after i read up on it i was quick to stop taking it. Which i dont recommend becuase i started getting quick joltes of like extreme dizzyness, but i thought i just had a head cold. Until i found myself so dizzy drivin that i had to have my mother meet me half way to my destination because when the "shivers" would come i would lose my sight and control over my arms. It was very scarey, but when i got home mom talked me into taking my meds, so i did and it went away. But i still did not feel comfortable takeing such an addictive drug so i stopped again. And i have been dealing with these shocks for about a week. Hopefully they go away soon, cause i would like to be able to drive again!!!

Hi, I started weaning myself off 150mg/day in August by alternating 150mg with 75mg does. So 150,75,150,75, etc. Then once I no longer had the dizziness and "flu" like symptoms, I stepped it down to 75 every day. I then went to 75 Monday morning, followed by 75 tuesday evening, then 75 thursday morning, 75 friday evening, etc. I finally got down to 75 every third day and I have just done a week without it at all. The symptoms get milder and milder and I find that keeping myself really hydrated helps a lot.

Effexor withdrawal is very individual - so read everything before you take any advice and please see a doctor who understands and can give you some guidance. I was on Effexor for "mild" depression since August 2006. Should NEVER have started it but my family doctor thought it would help me out. She started me on a low dose 37.5 mg for 1 month and then increased to 75 mg for another month. She asked me if I think I needed more and at this point I said sure. It became very addictive, needed to take my pill everyday at the same time or else a massive headache would start. So I was on 112.5 mg and realized that the few times I was "late" in taking it, I didn't feel well. So I did the research and it scared the hell out of me. So December 1st started to wean. First went to 75 mg for 4 weeks without much problems. Maybe a little agitated at times and feeling melancholy. The last week of December dropped to 37.5 mg and then quit cold turkey for New Years. I felt fine for 24 hours, went for a hike with my husband and the kids, visited relatives, and felt fine. Then it hit me in the next 24 hours (48hours since last dose)... major head spins, dizziness, clamping feeling in my head, difficulty focusing with my eyes, cannot look from left to right quickly, lose balance if shifting vision from near to far and vice versa. I had no idea why this drug could cause such physical distress. I am 38 years old and have never taken illegal drugs but this felt like what others describe as "coming down" off of an addiction. Day 3,4,5,6,7 stomach cramps, diarrhea about 3-6 times per day, intense thirst and hunger, brain shivers, bad dreams, sleeplessness at night, restlessness during sleep, nausea, stomach quivers, tired spells during the day having to rest or "lie down" for a while, bumping into things, unco-ordinated, feeling "fuelled" at times with bursts of energy, feeling sexual again :-) cravings for fruits/veggies, hungry 2 hours after a meal. It is now DAY 8 and I am holding my own. The symptoms are all still present but they do not stop me from doing things like driving, grocery shopping, walking the dog. They seem less intense but are still there and I hope nobody notices them outside of my family !! I really want them to go away and am anxious to know when I can get rid of these symptoms forever !!! I'm remaining positive and feel such a sense of satisfaction that I am no longer putting that nasty chemical drug in my system. I think it is toxic !!! I see my family doctor tomorrow (who has been on vacation all week during my withdrawal, thank you very much!). I will give her an earful about this medication and how horrible it makes you feel when discontinuing. The drug company recognizes some of the withdrawal but the real education should be done at the point of prescribing. I went through counselling after starting Effexor to deal with my depression and feel so much better now. I think the Effexor help to get through the initial stages of counselling but then it was all due to "talking out" my problems with a professional. I am optimistic that I am going to get this toxic drug out of my system. I take one day at a time and have a husband that is so supportive and keen to help. I feel in control even those these symptoms are a pain in the ass to say the least. I don't know if I came off the drug too quickly but I hope my story reaches someone who also wants off. I will never take another anti-depressant drug again for the record. I would never recommend drugs for mild-depression. Counselling, get a support network, girlfriends, talk it out, and then make decisions about your life. You will feel better. I flushed every last pill down the toilet (or my husband did) because I was too sick in bed. I will write again to tell you all how I'm feeling after another week or so. We are going to Disney in 3 weeks and I want to be better by then. How ironic ? Emotionally, I am not having the severe mood swings others have reported. Maybe some agitation and irritability, got weepy singing in Church today but no one noticed. I think I am back to "feeling" things again and that is just fine with me. I would cry during sad movies when I wasn't depressed and that is normal for me. It's 2AM and I still can't sleep tonight. Kids go back to school tomorrow so I am forced to go to bed and get some shut eye so I can function.
For those of you reading this, in a similar situation, hang in there !! One day at a time. Keep you posted.
Good-bye Effexor.

I too have gotten off effexor 75mg for a little over two years after having an heart attack. The withdrawal as with everyone else was horrible, thought I was going to die or hoped I would and just get it over with.I missed a week of work ( I drive school bus ) after about nine days things got better. Does anyone have any info one this and being cold and terrible leg pain from my knees down?
I too can not believe a doctor would give this to anyone. Also has anyone lost any weight after a while.
I am 52 female gained 25 pounds and already had a weight problem,thankfully I have a great husband.

About 9 months ago my psychiatrist put me on Effexor to control some physical symptoms I had of GAD (I dont know to this day if I actually had GAD or if they just couldn't find anything else to explain it). I was eventually at 150 mg of Effexor. My doctor warned me that it had a short half life and to be very regular about taking my dose. Of coarse though, every now and then I would miss my dose by about 5 hours and I already started feeling the electric shock sensations and kind of panicky. After about 3 months of being on Effexor and seeing no improvement in the physical symptoms I was taking it for (bounding heartbeat and pulse, insomnia, tremor) I decided to stop but i knew that stopping abruptly wouldn't work. I went to my doctor and got some sample packs with which to withdrawal gradually. For some reason he advised me to go from 150 to 75 mg for a week and then off completely. BIG MISTAKE on his part. 3 days into the 75 I felt horrible and remember I was out at a coffee house eating a sandwich and i was so weak I could barely chew. I could barely drive home because of the electric shocks and dizziness. Then the next day the depression set in and I stayed home from school because I couldn't function properly. I took 112.5 that morning and all was well and I continued down the later of a 37.5 mg/week withdrawal. All was well until I was at nothing. Then it was worse than the first time I went from 150 to 75. The shocks were back, I lost my ability to concentrate on anything. I was shaky, irritable. I would have a panic attack if anyone tried to comfort me, I just wanted to be alone,,, or dead. I called the doctor and told him I was in bad shape and he prescribed me xanax. For some people that helps, for me it did nothing. I finally went to sleep and the next day called him and told him the xanax didn't do a thing. Then he prescribed me ativan. Which for me was the life saver. It effectively got me through the acute withdrawal symptoms, by making me feel relaxed almost to the point of a small high. I took that once a day for about 2 weeks and then tapered off... it too had some small withdrawal symptoms. Up until about 2 months ago I would still notice long term withdrawal symptoms such as the occasional mild electric shock on the turn of my head. Sometimes I would feel dizzy for no apparent reason and just kind of dreamy. I am back to normal now,,, at least I think I am. I can't really remember exactly what I felt like before I started taking the menace, but I feel good now.
So you will get through it, just remember,,, VERY GRADUAL TAPER, and if the symptoms get really bad, I would recommend seeing if your doctor will prescribe you a fast acting benzodiazepine such as ativan.
THANKS WYETH!

Guest wrote:

Quote:

Very helpfull thank you

I was very recently placed on both effexor to help with post traumatic stress disorder I have suffered from being involved in the war in Iraq and also high blood pressure meds for a constant battle with hyper tension. Is it safe to be on a medication that will raise your blood pressure when you are trying to lower it. Also, I would rather deal with the depression in a natural way than to deal with the withdrawl symptoms I have read about on here. I'm only 2 weeks into tking the effexor, should I stop now?

To all that are getting off effexor, my heart goes out to you. I am a 36 year old Police Officer whose primary job is GANGS. I feel like a blubering id**t beacuse as i read some of your posts I began to cry uncontrolably. I have always been a very tough person and it is amazing that such a drug can reduce someone to what i have become over the past week. I too feel horrible and can now sympathize with IV drug users that try to kick meth or heroin. The key for me is knowing that my symptoms are a result of withdrawing from the drug. Take care and hang in there.

I started taking Effexor 3 years ago - first 37.5, then 75, and then my doctor added 20 mg. Prozac to my little 'cocktail'. After 3 years, of therapy and the medications, I tried going off the Prozac - with my doctors knowledge. Didn't work at all. The world was big and loud again, and I couldn't cope. Next, we decided to try going off effexor. that was a scary choice, because it had helped my fibromyalgia pain so much - I had been pain free all this time. Effexor and neurontin gave me that freedom - but the idea of being a walking pharmacy just lost its appeal, so...

So, first we stepped down to 37.5. Well, I am 3 days into it, day 1 - headache. Day two - in the bathroom all evening, and dizzy. Day 3 (today) felt like some kind of 'shock' in my leg. I mean, it felt like when you put your tongue on a battery (not that anyone ever does that...). I read on crazymeds.org all sorts of things that could happen - fortunately only some of them have. But, the ones that have, really have done so quite spectacularly1

Since the start of the withdrawal - weird dreams, very colorful, seeing things out of the corner of my eye that aren't really there, and sometimes sounds that aren' t really there. its very scary. Its like I'm suddenly just not quite in time with the rest of the world - can't tell if I'm faster or slower, but definitely I am out of sync. Its very strange.

I am not sure how long I will be on 37.5 before I go to 0 - but will for sure keep with the prozac. Im told it is supposed to help make for a softer landing. I hope so.

I just wish my tongue would stop this tingling, and these 'shock' sensations in my leg and sometimes face now would stop. Oh, and I have an exaggerated startle response :-). I know because my husband just dropped the remote control and I screamed.

The last post I read concluded: "Goodbye Effexor". I will be so glad to say the same thing. I was also glad to get the absolute relief it gave me, and the ability it gave me to get thru therapy, and get my life sorted out for the first time. Effexor saved my life - but now its time to get on with life without it. I'll probably be on the prozac for the rest of my life - and I think I'm ok with that.