Hi all, I just wanted to tell everyone that I just recently got off Effexor after being on it for 11 years straight. And while it wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life, it wasn't the worst either. I was taking 225 mg for most of the 11 years. That's a high dosage and 11 years is a very long time to be on Effexor. Now, I'm not saying that some people don't have a terrible time getting off this drug, but I am saying that power of suggestion is very real and by reading the endless stories about how difficult it's going to be to get off effexor and the horrific withdrawal symptoms that you will suffer, guess what, you will suffer them. I also believe that if you had never heard about the difficulties in getting off of effexor and the awful withdrawal symptoms, and followed a tapering off period, the withdrawal wouldn't be nearly as bad. I know in my case, I would have gotten off of effexor a lot sooner than I did, if I hadn't heard all the withdrawal stories. Best wishes to all. :-D :-D

Hi there,

I truly appreciate your positive attitude, which is much needed during this horrific time in my life.  I just got off of effexor xr completely, after being on 150 mg, then 75 mg and then 37.5 mg for a little over a year.  I wish I could be positive, but I feel like complete c**p, from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep.  I hate to say this, but I think you were just lucky to not go through what a lot of us sufferers have experienced.  Or maybe you tapered differently and had a positive affect.  I do not know.. all i can say is that I feel sick as a dog and I am scared that I will not be back to myself soon.  Help!!!