Hi, as with any other antidepressant I have problems with Effexor XR withdrawal. I feel anxiety, confusion, disrrhea, headaches and insomnia. My doctor decreased doses gradualy to avoid these unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, but I still suffer form them. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Hi, I also had many trouble when I tried to switch from Effexor to Zoloft. Many symptoms occurred like anorexia, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea, nervousness, sensory disturbances and sweating. It’s said that you need to be prepared for the withdrawal symptoms of Effexor, but nobody expects such severe reaction. Even low dosage patients are not safe, because withdrawal symptoms develop regardless the dosage. Effexor withdrawal symptoms can easily last two months and in some people even more up to one year. Withdrawal symptoms can develop from missing only one dose, since it is shortly present in sufficient concentrations in the blood.

I quit taking Effexor Xr 2 months ago after being on it for about 15 months. Even though I followed the doctors orders, I still had major withdrawal symptoms. My biggest problem while taking them was EXTREME fatigue all the time, but others were not so evident until I quit taking the pill. Now two months later, I'm still having problems with staying awake. My doctor told me when I first got off of them that it would take a while for my brain to readjust to the levels of serotinon, but how long? I oversleep my alarm and am late for work and fall asleep at work and sometimes I doze while driving. I really need something, but I do not want to take anymore pills after being on Effexor. Please any help would be appreciate. Thank you.

I was on 150mg of Effexor XR for 15 months before I quit, 2 months ago. Even though, I weaned off just as my doctor advised, I was still miserable for a couple of weeks. o.O The main reason I wanted off the pills was I did not feel depressed anymore and I could not stay awake no matter how hard I tried. Now two months later I am still havin trouble staying awake. I oversleep my alarm, fall asleep at work and sometimes doze at the wheel. The doctor told me I would have problems until my serotonin levels balanced out, but how long will it take? Is this even the pills? While I was on Effexor Xr. I spent close to $3000 on medical tests, visits, etc. trying to figure out why i couldn't stay awake. Solution Effexor XR.

this is the worst withdrawl sympton i have ever experienced, i am currently in a drug rehabilitation clinic in utah, i have been addicted to almost everything, and the withdrawls of all those drugs put together do not even come close to the pain of coming off of this "miracle medicine" i go throug these shock syndromes that feel like i am beeing electricuted from the inside out! i get dizzy and i start to see things, i have a headache and i feel stupid, my body sways while im standing and i cannot controll it, i burst in to tears and start to cry for no apperant reason, im only seventeen and this drug has ruind any chance i have at becoming truly clean. DO NOT START THIS MED! IT IS NOT WORTH IT PLEASE, I DO NOT WISH THIS ON ANYONE.

After 5 years of being on Effexor, I am finally off this drug. If I knew I would feel the way I do now, I would never have taken this drug. It did help me while being on it, but I am really going through a terrible time of withdrawal. I was weined from 150 to 75 to 37.5mg over a two week period. My last pill was three nights ago. I am so dizzy, also the shock feeling in my head and the nausea is terrible. I have been going to work and I hardly make it through the day. How long is this going to last??? When the doctor gets in his office today, you know I will be calling him. I was not told of the withdrawal symptoms I would be going through. Does anyone know how long this feeling is going to last?????

I am so glad that I am not the only one that has these problems with effexor. I thought i was going crazy when I tried to get off it! I could never explain properly to anyone that "shock" feeling you get. I have tried several times to ween myself off it without sucess. I just found out a few days ago that I am pregnant and I'm scared to death of the effects it will have on my child. But then again, I'm scared to go through the effects of not being on it and not being healthy enough for my baby to grow! There has got to be something that can help!!!

I went to the dr. today and i missed a dose of effexor yesterday and a couple last week i have been so sick and couldn't get out of bed i have 4 kids and could't even take care of them. i am still really sick i can't concentrate, i am dizzy, i am naussiated, i have been vomiting for 2 weeks straight, and everything is blurrry. it sucks i really hate this drug. please let me know if u find out how to get rid of the withdrawl symptoms.

As far as I can tell, once you start, you can't stop. The only people I know who actually quit, are raging drug addicts, and probably can't tell that the withdrawls are as bad as they are. I've been on effexor xr for 5 yrs now, street drug clean for 2 yrs, and tried to get off fxr 4 times. Each time I gradually weaned off, but the anxiety was too much to bear, along with all the regular symptoms. I guess if it works, don't go off it. I've gained a ton of weight, I have no sex drive, but I am not suicidal and I actually take pleasure in my little average life. On paper, this doesn't sound like a great existence, but it's leaps and bounds better than the torturous mind I used to live with. Sanity is a nice thing.

I weaned myself, opening the 37.5 capsules open, splitting them in half, then into thirds, over a one year period. After 3-4 weeks off, I would tailspin into my own mind, and go back on. I've done this 4 times now, over 5 years. Do you HAVE to go off it? If the drug helps, is it so bad? I can't get off it, but if you have success, tell me about it, I've given up hope on quitting it.

Here are my last 2 posts from the Effexor Withdrawal Tips thread
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/effexor-withdrawal-tips&hpr=Effexor_Withdrawal_Tips&start=20

tase2 wrote:

I just wanted to pop in with an update.

Today is day 8 or 9 being totally off Effexor. I am cautiously optimistic that the worst is totally behind me.

I have a nasty cold, bug, flu so I can't say I feel great or even good, but I can say I feel better.

Also I don't want to get too excited as perhaps the brain and it's intricate functions, is currently battling the cold symptoms and thus leaving the withdrawal effects alone for a while.

Does that sound whack or what?

I am also afraid of possible re-emergence of old symptoms. There was a reason to be on Effexor in the first place, so I pray that old symptoms don't come back.

I guess I don't know what it is like to feel well, and how will I know when I do, and can I stop worrying about that it won't last.

Anyway for this minute I actually feel pretty good.

NO Brain Shivers, NO excess dizziness, no terrible mood swings.

I will keep you posted.

tase

tase2 wrote:

maystamper wrote:

I have gone from 300mg to 175 mg and the withdrawl symptoms have gone away. Now it's time to go down again.

I'm so glad to hear that you are completely off!
Hang in there! Keep hydrated and get some sunshine!

Mary C.

Hi Mary

I'm not sure if you were the person I originally read about staying hydrated from (as I have been on soo many sites regarding this lovely effexor withdrawal)but that is the one constant I have stayed with the entire time. I drink water, water and more water. And when I'm done with that I drink more water.

I believe it has helped, except for the constant peeing

Anyway Mary, take it very slowly. slowly as possible, and hang in there.

I have vowed to myself, that when/if I really start to feel OK that I would post my happy results, as it appears we never hear from folks more than once or twice.

We will be here for you and with you.

I wish nothing but the best for you as you continue along this lovely journey.

I hope you can help me in my goal of finding and posting a success story.

Keep us posted

tase

I hope this will give you some level of relief.
I will continue to post whether good or bad, but I believe it will be all good :D

I am absolutely determined to go off of effexor. I have gained 30 pounds, and that has made me more depressed than I had ever been before. I used to take pride in my body, and now I hate it. I took my last does today, so we'll see how that goes.

Please keep us posted

Best of luck

You can do it.

I too am cutting the 37.5 capsules down...does it work? Well my symptoms are there...very tired during the day, go through a period once a day with nausea (althouggh the nausea was worse on the 150 dose). I am not sure whether i should go off completely or not.

Hi, Ive been on effexor xr 150mg for about 2 years. A guy at work was on the same for 15 months and he told me 2 weeks ago he went straight from 150mg to 75mg AND HE Felt fine, except one morning he had a really bad headache. I decided to try too..Today is day 1 cutting my dose in half. I feel good, I have had them brain shudder things before if I was late taking my tabs. So far I havent really had that today, I did however have violent diarreah. Small price to pay. I am not going to hurry this process though..I will probably stay on 75mg..(if alll works out) for about 6 months, then I will decrease.

My old boss was on 75mg for about 2 years and one day he decidedto stop taking it and he's fine. I asked him about symptoms and he said he felt a few gay feelings in his temple but nothing that lasted too long. So there is hope and every case is unique. I will keep you all posted.