Just recently, after considering my self to be pretty healthy person, I was shocked when my doctor told me that my regular yearly blood tests showed that my bad cholesterol levels were way too high. He immediately prescribed me simvastatin, together with insisting I make even more dietary changes and start to exercise (which is a bit of a problem due to my bad back).

Simvastatin caused me to feel sick for weeks, I was barely able to work and I insisted to be switched to different medication. Now I’m on Lipitor, and if anyone could explain me what are the major differences between simvastatin and Lipitor?

as you probably know, both simvastatin and Lipitor are from the same group of medications called statins. All statins tend to cause similar side effects, like the ones you've experienced, the difference being in that some people react better to some statins and have less side effects than on others.

As far as simvastatin and Lipitor are concerned, Lipitor is more potent and you need lower dose than you'd need of simvastatin to get the same results. This of course means that because you're not on high statin dose, you generally experience less side effects on Lipitor than on simvastatin.