I’ve been diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 18 and ever since then I’ve been on varying doses of Keppra. I’m currently on 2500 mg twice daily and up until this point Keppra was very successful in controlling my seizures. But, they are getting more and more frequent now and my neurologist wants me to switch to Vimpat.

Besides knowing that Vimpat is much newer medication and that I’ll need relatively low dose compared to Keppra, I don’t know much more about Vimpat. How is it different than Keppra?

as far as I understood what my neurologist told me, the main differences between Vimpat and Keppra are the type of side effects each of these medication causes, and also they work differently in preventing epileptic seizures.

Vimpat has an effect only on overactive neurons that are likely causing the seizure, while Keppra affects all synapses (links between neurons). But, no one really knows how Keppra (levetiracetam) works in preventing seizures and why it causes such massive changes in personality and other side effects for some people, while it's almost side effect free for others.

the main difference between Vimpat and Keppra is supposed to be in the way they affect the neurons that are responsible for triggering the epileptic attacks. Even though it's partially true that Vimpat has less side effects and that it's only supposed to target the neurons responsible for epileptic seizures, it's not completely true, since Vimpat also has side effects on your entire nervous system which is most obvious by it's most common side effects, sleepiness and drowsiness. However, unlike Keppra it doesn't cause personality changes so it's becoming more of a first choice for treating epilepsy, together with Lamictal.

Keppra is the S-enantiomer of etiracetam structurally similar to the prototypical nootropic drug piracetam and Vimpat is a medication developed by UCB (company) for the adjuvant treatment of focal seizuress and diabetic neuropathy.

Vimpat has active ingredients of lacosamide. It is often used in epilepsy.Keppra has active ingredients of levetiracetam. It is often used in epilepsy. 

Vimpat costs over $800 per month, Keppra less than $20. There's a big difference!

My mother was put on vimpat in march after in suffering 2 seizures due to a non trama tic brain injury called PRES ...she will now be on vimpat along with other meds now for life. It is too much to get into but with her insurance vimpat went from almost 1200 a month down to 400 a month but I went on line and found a manufacturer discount that lowered in to 300 a month but it changes for each person . The pharmacist actually explained that 300 was the highest that would be charged for anyone and could go very much lower . Unfortunately the better the insurance the less of a discount but still worth any discount. There are discounts offered for basically every medication just have to research coupons/discount from manufacturers of....whatever medicine you are perscribe. And once a person reaches their deductible the med is covered completly.. After 4 months my mother paid deductible for the year on all her meds so she paid nothing for any meds the rest of the year. Good luck