I have had a stent placed in my LAD & must keep cholesterol around 135. Is red yeast rice an alternative to Lipitor in action, or is there another that would be recommended? How do you switch from one to the other without causing increased risk? I have joint pain with Lipitor, and my MD is not savy to alternative products.

I am using Red Yeast Rice and after the first six weeks it lowered by LDL from 142 to 102.....Make sure you get a top brand...I used Numedica and am now using XYMOGEN

Hi Sally, 

Since my dad also has to struggle constantly with balancing Lipitor side effects against high cholesterol, I have read quite a lot about potential alternatives and surely, I did came across read yeast rice supplements as an option, but I still am not quite convinced it really is any better alternative.

That is mainly because the main substance from red yeast that helps in lowering cholesterol is also a statin – the same type of medication as Lipitor. It’s even been extracted and marketed as a regular, prescribed medication. And, for things to be even more confusing, read yeast has the same potential side effect – muscle and joint pain that we are trying to get rid of. So, especially with the stent, I really would not go completely without doctor’s advice on this, even if you have to see a different doctor.