after I had my last physical exam for work I was bit surprised when the doctor informed me my blood tests showed that both my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were borderline high and that I should go talk to my physician about my option for lowering those. Otherwise I passed with flying colors - I’m not overweight and I exercise twice a week.

My physician gave me several more guides on the diet, of course I’m continuing with my exercise regime, but he also told me he thinks I should think about starting statin medication, either simvastatin or Lipitor in his opinion. Which one of these is more effective?

since your blood cholesterol and triglyceride results are still borderline high, I'd recommend you to focus more on the diet and exercise, perhaps take a red yeast rice supplement or omega 3 acids supplement before starting statin medications.

To answer your question, Lipitor is more potent than simvastatin, but both these medications have frequent side effects that include tiredness, muscle and joint pain and even potentially irreversible muscle damage.