Hello! I am 53 years old and have two sons age 25 and 21. My father, who is 83, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers disease 2 years ago. I have been told that it is hereditary, and that it could happen to me or my sons too since we carry the same genes as my father. Can we do something to prevent it or to be sure whether we are going to have it too. What tests should be done to children of Alzheimers patients?

Hi! My mother also suffers from the severe case of dementia, or the Alzheimer’s disease as many know it. I know that you fear for you and your children but as far as I know, and I tried to find out, there is no test that you could do which can tell you whether you will have the same disease at your old age or not. Yet, there are some forms of prevention. I heard that taking vitamin E can help, also antioxidants and ginkgo balboa. And also some research is being done that gives some results on animals and might be approved for people in next few years.

Actually, there is a test that can help you but I am not sure where it is done, maybe you should best consult some professional health worker. Namely, scientists have discovered a particular gene that increases a person's risk of developing Alzheimer's and as I said It is possible to test for this gene in family members of patients with Alzheimer's disease. But be ware that even among individuals with this gene, only about one-half develop Alzheimer's by age 90, suggesting that other factors are also involved and scientist are still not sure what those factors are.

Neuro-Quest is an early stage start-up developing a blood test for early diagnosis. The science comes from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, and is based on the discovery of cells in the immune periphery that are responsible for normal brain maintenance. According to this theory, changes in immune cells in the peripheral blood precede disease related functional loss, and therefore can be detected before cognitive loss becomes significant.
We have started a clinical trial in Israel, and currently analyzed the immune cells of 32 people.