I am doing some research on this because my husbands mother has this disease and his grandmother is deseased from it. My husband and I are concerend that he could pass it down to our children. His mother told me that it is more common in female, but what I have seen so far shows me that, that is not the case. We have 2 young boys ages 4 and 5. Is it possible that they could be carring the gene? We would like to have more children and are afraid that if we have a girl she will inherit it. My husband has not been tested. Is this something that we should do?

What you found out seems to be right – there is no proof that girls tend to inherit spinocerebellar degeneration any more than boys. From what I’ve read, any child of an parent with the disease has a 50 percent chance of inheriting the disease gene. If the child inherits the disease-causing gene, he or she will eventually develop symptoms of the disease. A child who doesn’t inherit the disease-causing gene will not develop the disease and doesn’t pass it on to the next generation. So, from what I understand, if your husband hasn’t got it neither do your sons o any of your future kids. No matter how scary, it’s probably better to know. You should find out if it’s possible to test for this genetic disorder as part of pregnancy planning.