My father has pulled out of Wegener’s granulomatosis disease and he is fine now, although he had kidney transplantation. I would like to know if this disease is hereditary. I have two sons, they are still just kids, but I am concerned for them. What could be the cause of this illness? Can you help me here?

Well, I will have to say first that exact factors that lead to occurring of this condition are still not known. There has been a research that showed that some drugs are involved in the secondary form of this illness. Since this is an auto immune disorder, we might mention genetic predisposition and a molecular mimicry.

First of all congratulations I am so glad that your father is recovering from serious condition such is Wegener's granulomatous.

As andee has already told you there is no data which could confirm that Wegener's granulomatous is hereditary. It is known one case in which two twins were involved and only one of them was diagnosed with Wegener's granulomatous. First of all you should know that this condition is not contagious and that is characterized by overactive immune system.

Although this dieses has infection process the main cause of it is still unknown.

You can see with your doctor if you should maybe do some tests as your sons get older but I really doubt that this is going to be necessary.

My mom had wegeners granulomatous, the doctors keep a close eye on me to see if there is some hereditary involved in it.

Dear Andee,  I glad your father has received a kidney transplant and I hope he is still doing well.  My mother passed away from WG 16 years ago.  Her younger sister was just recently diagnosed with WG.  I have had health problems since I was 26....Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, along with Raynaud's disease.  I plan to be tested completely for WG.  My younger sister and my brother also have autoimmune issues...

Greetings: there is no evidence of heritability of Wegener's granulomatosis.  However, those with relatives who had Wegener's ARE at significantly increased risk of developing an autoimmune disease of any type during their lifetime.  In my family's case, my maternal grandmother had Wegener's and died of it in her early 70s.  My mother, at age 69, did develop a rare autoimmune disease of the eye called uveitis.  I am her daughter and throughout my life, my only health concerns have been autoimmune related.

My son had Wegeners. They dont know what causes it and there is no cure Personally I feel it is hereditary. My half sister has lupus, which both are forms of vasculitus. My heart goes out to yall. I lost my 21 yo son 11 months ago to Wegeners

Hi I am so sorry to hear your sad news - i lost my mother 21 years ago this year to this and i have an auto immune disease now

I would say it's possible that it's hereditary. Given it's rarity, it's unlikely that it's environmental. My father has recovered from Wegener's Granulomatosis with treatment and has been in remission for nearly 5 years. He was in his 50's when it first appearedHis uncle, my great uncle - was diagnosed with the same disease about a year later - his did not start until he was in his 70's.The only reason my great uncle survived and is alive today is because my father was diagnosed a year prior to his developing symptoms. Otherwise he likely would have died before they narrowed down the cause and started him on the correct treatment.It was still a close call and a long recovery.

I lost my mother to WG in Oct 2012. She had fought hard, but it took her life due to the toxicity of the treatment. I think there is hereditary involvement as her sister has giant cell arteritis which is a form of vasculitis. I think this disease is a monster and more research needs to be done. I wonder what sets off such an auto- immune response and why?

I lost my sister last year November 9th to Wegeners Granulomatosis. It has been a devastating loss. It took the physicians years to diagnose, and I am in agony now thinking if she had been diagnosed earlier she may still be with us. She left a 7 year old son that is lost and trying to cope with the grief of loosing his Mother. We are a big family, so we have a lot of love to give him, but nothing can take the place of a Mother's love. My dear sister was a lovely, soft hearted, caring person that would light up a room when she entered. She was kind hearted and we are still trying to come to terms with it. She was only 48. We miss her terribly.

Iam 24 yrs i have developed WG when i was 18 .. i took cytoxan and didnt responed to it then i tried rituximab which lead me into remission . Some of my family members have small auto immune problems My doctor told me from my family history i was willing to get auto imune disorder BUT he thinks i had WG because i was living in huge emotinal problems and stress for years !! Iam trying to live in minimum stress and im having a longer remissions Btw every time i had relapse i was under stress and feeling sad

How long did It take for your father to pull out of this disease?. My Fiancé is dealing with this disease and was diagnosed about 2 years ago but it seems like things keep getting worse. They just confirmed that there is blood in his urine. He now has a trach that will have to be in place for the rest of his life since his throat will not dilate anymore. His Vocal folds are almost completely paralyzed he has very little movement in them. I'm very happy to hear about your father it gives me hope :)

Hi there...my husband has WG also ..diagnosed x 6 years ago. Went into some what of a remission finally just 2 years ago. Has been on maitenance Chemo (cellcept) all this time. During the last 3-6 months he has had extreme stressors in his life. One month ago was told WG has resurfaced. In us thinking about it, the first round he had of WG he was also under a tremendous amount of stress. Family also includes several members with Auto Immune conditions. So sounds like it is familial and can be stress induced. I think between all of us...we can figure this out!

No, this is not hereditary