Hi, I have noticed that my mother has started to be very forgetful. When I try talking to her about it she often has trouble finding the right words. A friend of mine told me that his father was behaving the same way and that these are the symptoms of geriatric dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Can you tell me something more about geriatric dementia and if there is a cure for this illness?

Hello, dementia is a condition that causes the person to have problems with mental abilities, especially memory. The dementia in elderly people is usually caused by the Alzheimer's disease. This is a very serious illness that the scientists have not figured out. The cause of Alzheimer's disease is unknown but its affects are well recognized. Brain cells die and with them the person, who is diagnosed with this condition, losses the ability to remember and think clearly. The symptoms of geriatric dementia are: the inability to recall the basic information such as date of birth, a patient often can not recognize objects, language disruption is present and patient has trouble with understanding or expressing words. If you notice these symptoms in your mother you should take her to a neurologist as soon as possible. Although there is no cure for the Alzheimer's disease there are a lot of medicines that can slow down the process and help your mother with her problems.