Hi! I have a close friend whose father suffers from the Alzheimer’s disease. My friend is 51 and her father is 81. As I could observe through my close contact with this family, the disease itself is very hard for the person that has it but maybe even more for the person who takes care of the patient, and in this case that is my friend. I also heard that is usually inherited. Will children of Alzheimer’s patients have the same disease?

Hello! You are right that it is inherited, but it is not always the case. I think that maybe 30% of children end up having the Alzheimer’s disease if their parents had it. The risk is also greater if the parent developed the disorder at early age, like at 65 or 70, if the parent got the Alzheimer’s later on, at 80 years of age or later, the children have less risk of inheriting it. It would be best though to consult some doctor and see what medicine has to say on this subject.

As I have heard from the close friend whose mother has Alzheimer’s disease too, there is some test that she plans to take as to discover whether or not she has the certain gene which is responsible for developing the Alzheimer’s later in life. She said that having this gene means that your chances of getting the Alzheimer’s are 50%. So even this method is not definite, but I guess that at least if you don’t have it you can relax. Maybe even that is not certain though, so that might also be a good question for the doctor.