Hi, I have a question that is bothering me for quite some time. You see, my brother has type 1 diabetes since he was twelve. No one else in our family has this condition. I have two sons. One is ten and other eight years old. I am worried that maybe they have the same genes that could cause type 1 diabetes. Are my children at risk of diabetes type 1?

Hi, diabetes type 1 is a very mysterious condition. The doctors do not know the exact cause of this illness. It is thought that some kind of virus induces the reaction of the immune system against the pancreas insulin producing cells. Why this reaction happens is not quite clear. And also not everyone affected with this virus develops diabetes type 1. So scientists believe that some genetic sensitivity is needed for a person to develop type 1 diabetes. The connection between genetic predisposition and the viral infection is not explained. I would have to say that there are some chances your sons could develop type 1 diabetes, but there is nothing you can do to stop the illness from developing. In any case, these chances are very small, so you shouldn't worry too much.